Yemen group executes foreign hostagesJune 15th, 2009 - 8:10 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
Government and tribal sources in Yemen say they have found the bodies of seven people thought to be among nine foreigners kidnapped last weed in Saada.
“We have found the corpses of seven people who were kidnapped. Three children captured with the group were found alive,” but at least three foreign women were killed, a security official said.
The foreigners - seven Germans – one a doctor traveling with his wife and three children,– a male British engineer and a Korean teacher, were abducted while on a picnic on Friday in the north-western province of Saada where they all worked at a hospital.
While there was no immediate claim of responsibility, officials blamed members of the Shia rebel group, Huthi Zaidip, a secessionist movement that has been fighting the government since 2004.
The kidnapping of Western tourists or workers is fairly common in Yemen with most incidents resolved peacefully in exchange for ransom or concessions from authorities.
Yemeni tribesmen in Saada on Friday released a group of 24 doctors and nurses whom they abducted a day earlier, demanding the authorities release two prisoners.
More than 200 foreign nationals have been kidnapped in Yemen in the last 15 years. Most have been released unharmed.
- French aid worker released in Yemen - Jul 15, 2012
- Nine foreigners kidnapped in Yemen - Jun 15, 2009
- French woman aid worker kidnapped in Yemen: Report - Nov 23, 2011
- Kidnappers kill three female aid workers in Yemen1 - Jun 16, 2009
- 7 killed in landmine blast in Yemen - Feb 15, 2010
- Saudi forces free German girls kidnapped in Yemen - May 18, 2010
- US tourists kidnapped, released in Egypt - Feb 04, 2012
- Two US tourists kidnapped in Yemen - May 29, 2010
- Al Qaeda abducts Yemeni intelligence officer - Mar 22, 2012
- Yemen president, rebels declare end of fighting in north - Feb 12, 2010
- Spanish embassy policeman found dead in Yemen - May 22, 2012
- Red Cross staff kidnapped in Pakistan - Jan 05, 2012
- Taliban claim responsibility for abducting 30 kids - Sep 03, 2011
- Bulgarian envoy to Yemen escapes abduction attempt - May 14, 2012
- Nine foreigners kidnapped in Yemen - Jun 14, 2009
Tags: abducted, british engineer, concessions, corpses, doctors and nurses, foreign nationals, foreign women, foreigners, germans, hostages, north western province, ransom, rebel group, saada, secessionist movement, security official, tribal sources, two prisoners, western tourists, yemeni tribesmen