Wyoming legislature may put cameras in classroomsJanuary 26th, 2011 - 8:38 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Wyoming, Jan 26 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Wyoming legislators are considering putting cameras in the classrooms.
The legislators are proposing that teachers should be video taped so that their real performance could be evaluated. The legislators believe that the video tapes will serve as a great tool to properly access teachers’ performance in the state.
Some teachers in the state are not comfortable with the arrangement. They believe that the video cameras will only put stress on the teachers to perform which can trigger nervousness.
An adjunct professor of education at the Long Island, N.Y., campus of St. Joseph’s College, Thomas Whitby, told reporters that, “”Being observed is intimidating enough, and you just add that extra thing of a camera: It really stresses people out.”
Some teachers believe that the move is not only intended to evaluate their teaching skills but their behavior in classroom as well.
Critics of the move claim that the move will be waste of money because currently, there are measures available to evaluate teachers. They also argue that the taping of classroom sessions may also trigger privacy issues when the tapes are viewed by unauthorized person.
The bill was introduced by Wyoming Sen. R. Ray Peterson (R).
- UK schools 'using CCTV to spy on pupils in toilets and changing rooms' - Dec 28, 2010
- Poor behavior students 'not always poor in academics' - Mar 30, 2011
- Source of Radia tapes' leak unknown, court told - Aug 23, 2012
- Social and emotional learning programs boost students' skills - Feb 05, 2011
- Shift focus from enrolment to what goes on in class: PM - Sep 04, 2012
- Poor behaviour doesn't always lead to poor grades - Mar 30, 2011
- Highlighting gender encourages stereotyped views in preschoolers - Nov 16, 2010
- Two Brit teachers suspended over alleged sex-romp film on school PC - Feb 21, 2011
- Coming soon: 'Smart Fence' that recognizes threatening footsteps! - Feb 04, 2011
- Negative classroom environment harmful for kids' mental health - Mar 09, 2011
- Oz man gets 26-yr jail term for 'vile' crimes against kids - Oct 08, 2010
- Shift focus from enrolment to what goes on in class: PM (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- China bars teachers from using harsh words - Dec 13, 2011
- Source of Radia tapes' leak unknown, court told (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Naked starlets encouraging sexting among Oz teens - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: adjunct professor, cameras in classrooms, classroom sessions, education, legislators, long island, measures, nervousness, privacy issues, ray peterson, s college, st joseph, stress, unauthorized person, video cameras, video tapes, waste of money, whitby, wyoming legislature