Wreckage from Los Angeles plane crash foundMay 19th, 2009 - 11:13 am ICT by John Le Fevre
The US Coast Guard has found debris from two aircraft after another pilot reported witnessing a mid-air collision between two light aircraft Monday afternoon.
Coast Guard Lt. Stephanie Young says two debris fields were spotted about a mile apart, five miles (eight kilometers) south of the Long Beach breakwater Monday. She says a plane’s nose wheel was amongst the wreckage found.
The Coast Guard dispatched a rescue boat, a patrol boat and an HH-65C Dolphin helicopter after receiving a report of the collision.
More than 20 boats from the Coast Guard, the fire departments of Los Angeles County, the City of Los Angeles and Long Beach are currently scouring the rough, choppy, white capped sea for survivors.
Reports from the scene say the engine cowling of an orange and black aircraft have been recovered by one of the boats.
- Two small planes crash in Orange County, New York - May 10, 2011
- Coast Guard rescues one person from disabled sailing vessel off California - Apr 12, 2010
- Military Plane and Helicopter collide - Oct 31, 2009
- US 'drunk driver' swims off to escape arrest - Jan 11, 2012
- Coast Guard rescues two from burning motor yacht off Los Angeles - May 22, 2010
- Tar Balls Originating From Gulf Oil Spill Cover Pensacola Beach - Jun 24, 2010
- Japanese tsunami ship drifting to Canada - Mar 25, 2012
- Thousands of fish found dead near Los Angeles - Apr 20, 2011
- Have few flight paths over populated areas: Pakistani daily - May 19, 2012
- New Coast Guard interceptor vessel commissioned - Oct 02, 2010
- China rejects Japan's demand for damaged vessels' reimbursement - Feb 12, 2011
- Mid-air collision averted in Pakistan - Apr 20, 2011
- Two U.S. Marines rescued after fighter jet crashes off San Diego, CA - Aug 11, 2011
- Off Mumbai, coast not clear of maritime disasters - Aug 09, 2011
- Only pilots' expertise saved Qantas A380 from disaster following mid-air explosion - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: coast guard lt, debris fields, dolphin, engine cowling, fire departments, helicopter, hh, kilometers, light aircraft, long beach breakwater, los angeles county, mid air collision, monday afternoon, nose wheel, patrol boat, plane crash, rescue boat, stephanie, us coast guard, wreckage