World’s Oldest Leather Shoe Discovered in ArmeniaJune 10th, 2010 - 11:32 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Stuffed with grass in what is suspected to be either a method of insulation, or a primitive shoe tree, a very well preserved 5500 year old leather moccasin was found inside a cave in Armenia on Wednesday.
Thanks to the protection of a mound of sheep dung, the shoe was incredibly well preserved in the recent dig. It is approximately the size of a woman’s shoe, size seven, and was made for the right foot, and shaped by being worn. It is not clear whether the shoe belonged to a woman or a man, since the size of an Armenian’s foot from that era is unknown.
One of the world’s most well known shoe designers, Manalo Blahnik was astonished at the design of the primitive shoe. Blahnik said in an email, “It is astonishing how much this shoe resembles a modern shoe!”
The shoe is made of a single piece of leather, a design called “whole cut” which is very much sought after in today’s market, and pushes up the cost of modern shoes. A leather cord laces the shoe up the back behind the heel as well as across the top front of the shoe.
Besides the shoe, cemented in the layers of sheep dung were the horns of a wild goat, the bones of a red deer, and a broken pot, which was upside down. It is suspected that this strange assortment of items may have symbolic meaning which could be revealed during the next scheduled dig this summer.
- World's oldest leather shoe found - Jun 10, 2010
- World's oldest shoe found in Armenian cave - Jun 10, 2010
- Earliest known winery found in Armenian cave - Jan 11, 2011
- Oldest leather shoe found in a cave in Armenia - Jun 10, 2010
- Blue suede shoes? Clean and keep them right (Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- Blue suede shoes? Here's how to preserve them - Mar 09, 2011
- Heels shaped like woman's legs up for grabs - Sep 28, 2010
- India to boost Ethiopia's leather production - Sep 22, 2011
- Armenia offers visa upon arrival for Indians - Feb 04, 2011
- 2,500 years old noodles unearthed in Chinese dig - Nov 20, 2010
- Cool Grey 11 Shoes Debuting Today - Dec 23, 2010
- Armenian couple name newborn 'Sarkozy' - Jan 26, 2012
- We were born to run barefoot - Jan 28, 2010
- LiLo unveils sketches for her new shoe line - Jan 14, 2011
- Special vegan shoes for Natalie Portman by Christian Dior - Dec 15, 2010
Tags: broken pot, email, horns, insulation, laces, leather cord, leather shoe, manalo blahnik, moccasin, old leather, piece of leather, red deer, right foot, s market, sheep dung, shoe designers, shoe size, shoe tree, strange assortment, wild goat