World’s Biggest Burger Finds A Place In The Guinness Book Of RecordsJune 14th, 2010 - 10:43 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
June 14, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): The race for making the world’s largest burger had caught the fancy of many Americans and is taken with utmost seriousness.
Denny Leigey Jr, the proprieter of Danny’s Beer Pub states that the race had actually begun way back in 1991 as a means of competing with a rival. A total of two pounds of meat went into the burger then which soon gave way to a 3 pound burger, a couple of years later. Soon Denny started surpassing himself as the race progressed well away from the boundaries of his locality.
His competitive spirit was aroused once again in 1998, when his daughter told him about 4 ponds of meat being served in a burger. Denny knew only one way to combat that, he made up his mind to beat his unknown rival. The result was a massive Olde 96er which contained 6 pounds of meat, two tomatoes and a big onion. Half a head of a lettuce went in too as did more than a pound of cheese. The garnishing on the top consisted of an amazing collection of relishes, mayonnaise, pickles and mustard. Tomato ketchup and banana peppers were liberally spread on too.
The burger has gained fame since its inception. Customers are asked to try and finish theirs within 3 hours in order to be included in the wall of fame that is prominently displayed in Denny’s pub. The customers are also tempted by a free offer of the same if they manage to finish the burger well within time.
Despite, the temptations, most Americans have failed in this endeavor. The famous star of eating known as Eric “Badlands” Booker is also among the failures. Kate Stelnick, on the other hand, won the competition by finishing it off in 2 hours and 54 minutes flat.
However, Denny has beaten himself again by creating a 50 pound burger which has been included in the Guinness Book of Records. The burger is waiting for the endorsement of the Beer Barrel Belly Bruiser to be named as the world’s largest burger, that is available for a price.
- Meet the man who gobbled a 15lbs Big Mac in 4hrs and 39mts! - Oct 19, 2008
- Burger weighing 777 pounds sets new record - Jul 05, 2011
- World's Biggest Burger To Find It's Place In Guinness Book Of World Records - Jun 14, 2010
- Andy Bates creates world's costliest kebab - Jun 09, 2011
- Soon 'test tube' meat on dining table - Feb 20, 2012
- Giant burger sets new world record - Sep 04, 2012
- Now a blood-vessel-busting 5000-calorie burger available in UK - Jan 28, 2011
- Beer batter squids, anybody? Or beer cheese soup? (Eating out with IANS) - Dec 14, 2010
- Beyonce snacks on bananas with ketchup - Sep 12, 2011
- Del Monte unveils food processing plant in India - Nov 02, 2010
- Doughnut Burgers And Deep-Fried Butter Represent The Popular New Foods At The State Fairs In America - Aug 11, 2010
- One Great Burger Beef Recalled By USDA - Jan 12, 2011
- Sienna Miller once put ketchup in her hair - May 07, 2012
- 10 quintessential cocktails for all occasions! - Jun 20, 2012
- $5k Las Vegas burger that will take quite a bite out of your wallet! - Jan 30, 2011
Tags: banana peppers, beer barrel, beer pub, denny, eric badlands booker, guinness book of records, kate stelnick, lettuce, mayonnaise, meat two, men at work, pen men, pickles, pound burger, proprieter, relishes, tomato ketchup, two pounds, utmost seriousness, wall of fame