Woman Killed By Lightening Strike During Boyfriend’s Wedding ProposalJune 11th, 2010 - 1:02 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
June 9 (THAINDIAN NEWS) While reaching for a ring to propose marriage to his 25 year old girlfriend, Richard Butler, 30 was suddenly knocked to the ground, and his love, Bethany Lott was struck dead immediately by a strike of lightening during a mountain storm.
The couple were hiking during scattered showers and storms last weekend at the top of a 4600 foot high mountain in North Carolina, near the Tennessee border. As they stopped to admire the view atop Max Patch Bald, Butler reached for the ring. But the wedding was not to be.
Before he could even get the ring out of his hand, much less utter the proposal, a sudden lightening strike knocked him off his feet. He told the ‘Citizen Times’ “She was probably five feet in front of me, so given the incline, she was a good bit higher than me, but it jumped to me. I was spun 180 degrees and thrown several feet back. My legs turned to Jello, my shoes were smoking and the bottom of my feet felt like they were on fire.” Butler suffered 3rd degree burns from the strike.
Lott, however, never knew what hit her. She was struck down and never regained consciousness. “She didn’t say anything, and I turned around and she was laying a few feet away, and I crawled to her. I did CPR for probably 15 minutes and the whole time was trying her cell phone, but I couldn’t get anything out.” He drove to the nearest house, since he could not carry her down the mountain due to his own injuries.
A man and his son came back with Butler, and helped all they could with Lott until rescue workers arrived on the scene. They were unable to bring Lott back, but did allow Butler to place the engagement ring on her hand. He was listed in the obituaries as her fiance, even though he never got to utter his wishes to the love of his life.
Lott loved hiking and had wanted to explore the site ever since their first date. Butler finally relented and took her up to the mountaintop in order to propose to her with the romantic mountain views behind them. The storm, though extremely dangerous, was a gorgeous display in the North Carolina mountains. Lott’s last words, as she watched in wonder were, “God baby, look how beautiful it is.”
At least 5 people have been killed by severe weather over the weekend in Ohio alone. Readers are urged to get indoors if there is a storm. Although Butler and Lott were experienced hikers, tragedy still struck in the form of a lightening bolt.
- Lightening Kills Woman During Wedding Proposal Atop a NC Mountain - Jun 10, 2010
- Lightning Kills Woman Just Before Wedding Proposal - Jun 10, 2010
- Lightning Kills Woman Before Boyfriend Could Propose For Marriage - Jun 10, 2010
- Lighting kills 25-year-old American woman minutes before engagement - Jun 08, 2010
- Lightning kills woman just prior to her wedding proposal - Jun 10, 2010
- Pixie Lott writes track for Selena Gomez - Apr 20, 2012
- Kate will wear ghost of Diana on hand: Ex-butler - Apr 26, 2011
- Gyllenhaal, Hathaway go nude for magazine shoot - Nov 19, 2010
- British music scene is amazing: Joe Jonas - Oct 18, 2011
- Elijah missed Murphy while recording - Nov 28, 2011
- Four Polish hikers killed by lightning - Jul 29, 2012
- Storm knocks Washington powerless (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Pixie Lott puts designer clothes and handbags on sale for charity - Sep 28, 2010
- Anne Hathaway, Jake Gyllenhaal bare all for steamy mag cover shoot - Nov 19, 2010
- Pixie Lott prefers mannerism over good looks - Jan 08, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,