Why You Shouldn’t Miss the Royal Gorge BridgeApril 17th, 2009 - 8:41 pm ICT by GD
The Royal Gorge Bridge is a must-see attraction near Cañon City, Colorado, inside a theme park. The bridge, tipped as the highest suspension bridge in the world, hangs 1053 feet (321 meters) above the Arkansas river. The Royal Gorge Route Railroad also runs under the bridge along the base of the Royal Gorge.
The Royal Gorge Bride is 1260 feet (384 m) in length and 18 feet (5 m) in width. The wooden walkway on it has 1292 planks and the bridge deck is suspended from 150 feet (46 m) high towers.
The bridge was constructed from June 5, 1929 and late November 1929 and a toll bridge was incorporated at a total cost of $350,00. Only in 1983 did it get listed in the National Register for Historic Places and continues to be a very widely visited tourist attraction in Colorado. It was never really built for transportation at all. The bridge is still the highest suspension bridge in the world and also boasts of the highest clearance between the deck and the surface.
In October 2003, wingsuiter Dwain Weston was killed when he was trying to fly over the bridge to demonstrate proximity. He was to go over the bridge and another skydiver Jeb Corliss was to go under it. But Weston did not calculate his distance from the bridge accurately and he struck a railing at 160 km/h. Weston was an experienced skydiver and BASE jumper with over 1200 jumps in his kitty and his partner Corliss has documented the stunt with his commentary. The video is available on the internet.
- China bridge becomes world's highest and longest - Apr 04, 2012
- Russian wing-suit jumper sets new world record - Jun 06, 2012
- Skydiver Felix Baumgartner will attempt to break the sound barrier - Feb 06, 2012
- Pune's Girl Shital Mahajan will jump in Wing-suit (birdman-suit)in Spain on 19th Sept for the national record - Sep 18, 2010
- Ultimate parachute jump: Diver to break sound barrier - Feb 05, 2012
- Myanmar to rebuild Death Railway - May 21, 2012
- Woman hurls grandkid to death at mall - Dec 01, 2010
- Darjeeling bridge collapse toll rises to 32 - Oct 23, 2011
- Austrian skydiver plans to break sound barrier in free fall (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Mexico sets world record for highest suspension bridge - Jan 07, 2012
- Skydivers make 'Largest Wingsuit Formation Dive' in US - Jan 23, 2010
- Weston Cage booked for domestic abuse - Jul 05, 2011
- Ship squeezes under bridge with 1.5 inch margin - Nov 01, 2010
- Chinese tightrope walker survives high wire fall - Jul 09, 2012
- 10 killed in road accident - Aug 12, 2011
Tags: arkansas river, base jumper, bridge deck, dwain weston, high towers, jeb corliss, late november, national register, planks, proximity, railing, royal gorge bridge, royal gorge route, royal gorge route railroad, skydiver, suspension bridge, theme park, toll bridge, tourist attraction, wooden walkway