Who are white supremacists?June 11th, 2009 - 3:46 am ICT by John Le Fevre
The 88-year-old white supremacist from Maryland responsible for today’s shooting at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial earlier today, James von Brunn, is a known white supremacist according to authorities.
A spokesman for the US Park Police, Sergeant David Schlosser, said von Brunn walked into the US Holocaust Memorial Museum armed with a shotgun and opened fire on a security guard before being shot and seriously wounded by two other guards.
The security guard and the gunman were both transported to George Washington University Hospital with serious injuries.
White supremacist groups exist throughout the world and were dominant in the United States before the American Civil War and for decades after Reconstruction.
The same is true of Apartheid-era South Africa and of parts of Europe at various time periods – most notably under Nazi Germany’s Third Reich.
One of the better known white supremacist groups in the US is the Ku Klux Klan (KKK), whose avowed purpose is to protect the rights and further the interests of white Americans by violence and intimidation.
In the UK the white supremacist ideology has become associated with a racist faction of the skinhead subculture, while in Germany Nazi revivalist movements still attract some support.
The basic ideology of all white supremacist groups is similar to many Christian Identity groups, in the conviction that there is a Jewish conspiracy in control of the United States government, international banking, and the media.
- Holocaust Museum security guard Stephen Johns dead - Jun 11, 2009
- White supremacist James von Brunn arrested for Holocaust Museum shooting - Jun 11, 2009
- Who is James von Brunn? - Jun 11, 2009
- Governor Haley Barbour is not going to condemn the KKK license plate proposal - Feb 17, 2011
- Racism in Australia gets similar to United States' Deep South: Johnny Lee Clary - Mar 15, 2011
- Dorm Named After Simkins, A KKK Member! - Jul 12, 2010
- Suspected Holocaust Shooter Dies - Jan 07, 2010
- Ice cream shop in Florida confuses customers with its choice of mascot - Sep 28, 2011
- U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum shooter charged with first degree murder - Jun 12, 2009
- Cult member vandalises Facebook tribute pages - Nov 12, 2010
- 88-year-old White supremacist kills Holocaust Museum guard - Jun 11, 2009
- Obama is the biggest ever assassination target in American history - Jan 20, 2009
- Black Man charged for sending 'KKK warning' - Apr 11, 2011
- Jaswant Singh says BJP is like Ku Klux Klan - Aug 26, 2009
- 'Gurdwara shooter was a neo-Nazi' - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: american civil war, avowed purpose, christian identity, david schlosser, george washington university, george washington university hospital, government international, holocaust memorial, holocaust memorial museum, international banking, jewish conspiracy, ku klux klan, nazi germany, police sergeant, revivalist, skinhead subculture, third reich, time periods, us park police, white supremacist groups