White supremacist James von Brunn arrested for Holocaust Museum shootingJune 11th, 2009 - 2:01 am ICT by John Le Fevre
James von Brunn, an 88-year-old white supremacist from Maryland, has been taken into custody following a shooting at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial earlier today.
Sergeant David Schlosser, a spokesman for U.S. Park Police, said a man armed with a “long gun” entered the museum at 12:50pm and fired at a security officer, resulting in both being wounded in an exchange of gunfire.
“My understanding is that two other security officers at the museum returned gunfire at the man that had entered the museum,” Schlosser said.
Schlosser said he didn’t know exactly what kind of firearm the man had and whether the shooting was before or after he passed through a metal detector.
A witness said she heard five shots and saw a security guard lying wounded on the ground.
“It was definitely a security guard, he was down bleeding on the floor,” she said. “He was face down. His back … blood was coming out.”
Sergeant Schlosser said the security guard that was initially shot and the gunman have been transported to George Washington University Hospital but he didn’t know their conditions.
- Holocaust Museum security guard Stephen Johns dead - Jun 11, 2009
- Who is James von Brunn? - Jun 11, 2009
- Who are white supremacists? - Jun 11, 2009
- Gunman opens fire at Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C. - Jun 11, 2009
- U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum shooter charged with first degree murder - Jun 12, 2009
- 88-year-old White supremacist kills Holocaust Museum guard - Jun 11, 2009
- Suspected Holocaust Shooter Dies - Jan 07, 2010
- Jewish organization condemns shooting incident at U.S. Holocaust Museum - Jun 11, 2009
- James Von Brunn Identified as Holocaust Museum Shooter - Jun 11, 2009
- Gunman shoots two before killing himself in New Jersey (Second Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Gurdwara gunman shot himself in head: FBI - Aug 09, 2012
- Three die in US shopping plaza shootout (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- New York gunman kills one, injures 10; shot dead (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Mass shootings have claimed hundreds of lives in US - Aug 14, 2012
- Gurdwara shooter acted alone: FBI - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: face down, five shots, george washington, george washington university, george washington university hospital, gunfire, gunman, holocaust, holocaust memorial, holocaust museum, metal detector, park police, s park, security guard, security officer, security officers, sergeant, spokesman, white supremacist, witness