Where is Kathmandu?November 1st, 2008 - 11:04 am ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Kathmandu is the capital of Nepal. Situated in the lap of the Himalayas, bordered by the People’s Republic of China to the north and by India to the south, east and west. A land locked country in South Asia and home place of natural beauty.
Kathmandu, the capital is the largest city in the country and the country’s official language is Nepali and the state currency is the Nepalese Rupee . Nepal’s flag is the only national flag in the world that is non-quadrilateral in shape. The blue border on the flag of Nepal signifies peace, red stands for victory in war or courage.
The Festivals of Nepal
Mata Tirtha Snan - Mother’s Day , the festival falls on the last day of the dark fortnight of April or early May.
Buddha Jayanti - the birth date of Prince Siddharth Gautam or Lord Buddha. Prayers are sung and the Buddhists offer worship in all the major Buddhist shrines such as Swayambhu and Boudhanath
Krishna Janmastami - the celebration of the birth of Bhagavan Sri Krishna/ Lord Krishna.
Gokarna Aunsi - Father’s Day, the ritual falls on the dark fortnight in August or in early September.
Nepal’s main religion is Hinduism. Nepal is home to the largest Shiva temple in the world, the famous Pashupatinath Temple, where Hindus from all over the world come for pilgrimage.
- Quake hits Nepal's mainstay tourism industry - Sep 21, 2011
- Nepal celebrates Mahashivaratri festival - Feb 20, 2012
- Hindus send greetings to Buddhists on Vesakha - Apr 28, 2011
- Hollywood director thought Buddha, Everest belonged to India - Jul 24, 2011
- Nepal Maoists defend disputed Buddha birthplace deal - Aug 10, 2011
- Nepal launches tourism gala to exorcise civil war, IA hijack ghosts - Jan 14, 2011
- Sonal Mansingh's disciple leads Pashupatinath's prayers in Nepal - Mar 02, 2011
- Indian ban to hit Pashupatinath's festival in Nepal - Feb 20, 2011
- India helps fill gap in hallowed Nepal pilgrim shrine - Jun 21, 2010
- Thousands throng Mathura for Janmashtami - Aug 10, 2012
- Jade Buddha to visit India in November 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- Hindus greet Buddhists on Vesakha - May 24, 2010
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Hindus greet Buddhists on Vesakha - Apr 27, 2011
- Nepal braces for Dalai Lama's birthday celebrations - Jul 02, 2011
Tags: bhagavan, boudhanath, buddhist shrines, capital of nepal, festivals of nepal, flag of nepal, gautam, gokarna, lord buddha, lord krishna, nepalese rupee, pashupatinath temple, quadrilateral, republic of china, shiva temple, siddharth, sri krishna, state currency, swayambhu, tirtha