Westminster Dog Show 2012 will showcase new breedsJanuary 25th, 2012 - 11:16 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, Jan 25 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The organizers of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show have confirmed that six new breeds have been approved to enter this year’s contest. The event will start next month at the Madison Square Garden.
Dog lovers will need some tongue training ahead of the show. the new breeds have quite unusual names and it will certainly be after sometime that the names will be mastered by all.
The six new breeds that will be entering the show this year are Entlebucher mountain dog, the Norwegian Lundehund, the Finnish Lapphund, the Cesky, the American English coonhound and the Xoloitzcuintli.
The six new breeds will bring the total number of breeds that will be at the show to 185. The number of breeds at the coveted competition has gone up quite significantly over the years. Back in 1990, about 142 breeds were cleared to compete in the contest which is seen as the oldest sporting event in the United States.
The competition is opened to the addition of new breeds but a breed must meet a strict criteria from the organizers because it can be allowed on the show. This year’s contest will be held on the 13th and 14th of February.
- American Kennel Club Recognizes Three New Breeds - Jan 29, 2011
- Westminster Dog Show 2010 Held Recently - Feb 16, 2010
- Three New Dog Breeds Added To AKC Registry - Jun 30, 2010
- Sadie: "Best In Show" In Westminster Dog Show 2010 - Feb 17, 2010
- American Kennel Club Welcomes Three New Dog Breeds - Jun 30, 2010
- Labrador Retriever named America's top dog - Jan 27, 2011
- "Leonberger" Dog And "Cane Corso" Joins AKC Family - Jun 30, 2010
- Over 300 dogs participate in Amritsar show - Dec 20, 2010
- Over 400 dogs participate in Ludhiana's dog show - Nov 29, 2010
- New dog breeds recognized by AKC - Jun 30, 2010
- Virginian 6-year-old Lori Anne Madison makes Spelling Bee history - Jun 01, 2012
- Sadie Declared Winner Of National Dog Show 2009 - Nov 27, 2009
- Single dogs can now find a mate on the web - Nov 14, 2010
- Joey Chestnut Wins International Hot Dog Eating Contest 4th Time - Jul 05, 2010
- PETA protests at the Westminster dog show - Feb 18, 2010
Tags: cesky, dog lovers, english coonhound, entlebucher mountain dog, finnish lapphund, madison square garden, norwegian lundehund, organizers, showcase, strict criteria, tongue, unusual names, westminster dog show, westminster kennel club, westminster kennel club dog show