Weather plays spoilsport for tandem chair balloonJuly 16th, 2012 - 6:43 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, July 16 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The plan of two men to fly the “tandem chair” balloon from Oregon to Montana came to abrupt end when the weather forced the adventure to come to an end. The organizers say no one was injured in the incident.
Kent Couch and Fareed Lafta intended to complete the adventure with their balloon made of tandem lawn chairs and several party balloons. The two men managed to escape from the balloon unharmed but the balloons continued on. The organizers say they last tracked the balloon flying east of Oregon.
The 5-foot diameter balloon floated into the sky on Saturday. The event was witnessed by several hundreds of onlookers including volunteers when it launched. The balloon was arranged in the colors of the United States and Iraq to signify the countries of Couch and Lafta respectively.
For some time it seemed the flight was going to be a success until the weather changed. The balloon endured snow and hailstorm, which forced the duo to descend. The adventure ended 30 miles from the starting point in the community of Post.
The organizer of the flight, Mark Knowles, told reporters that, “They came down hard. The craft went back up. It’s sitting up in the sky right above us.”
- Man Crosses English Channel In Helium Balloon - May 30, 2010
- Crossing English Channel With The Aid OF Helium Balloons - May 30, 2010
- Jonathan Trappe crossed the English Channel with the help of Helium Balloons - May 30, 2010
- Hailstorms damage orchards, bring on cold in Kashmir - May 01, 2012
- Pune's Girl Shital Mahajan will jump in Wing-suit (birdman-suit)in Spain on 19th Sept for the national record - Sep 18, 2010
- Mexico hosts Latin America's largest balloon festival - Nov 21, 2011
- Storm damages crops worth $1.5 mn in west China - May 14, 2011
- Man crosses English Channel using helium balloons - May 28, 2010
- Scientists recreate floating house from movie 'Up!' - Mar 08, 2011
- Hailstorm not snow in Dehradun, clarifies weather office - Jan 09, 2012
- Bad weather stalls campaigning in north Bengal - Apr 14, 2011
- Skydiver Felix Baumgartner will attempt to break the sound barrier - Feb 06, 2012
- Thunderstorms hit Bengal campaign of Rahul, Advani (Lead) - Apr 14, 2011
- Hot air balloon lands in Bath city centre - Jun 06, 2012
- National Geographic films real-life floating house 1000 feet in the air - Mar 07, 2011