Walgreens postpones the sale of their genetic test kitsMay 14th, 2010 - 2:32 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
San Diego, May 13 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Walgreens has been forced to put their plans on the backburner for the sale of personal genetic test kits. The Food and Drug Administration intervened into the matter and then Walgreens was forced to postpone their plans.
The test kits were going to be sold in the pharmacy stores starting from Friday, but then the Food and Drug Administration officials stepped in, and asked the customers to be wary of the product since it was unapproved. Then the FDA officials got in touch with the Walgreens officials and then the San Diego based company was forced to postpone the sale of the genetic kits.
“We’ve elected not to move forward with offering the Pathway product to our customers until we have further clarity on this matter,” according to a statement by Walgreens.
The genetic kits contain a plastic tube in which the saliva can be collected, and sent to the laboratory for testing. The kit also includes a postage paid envelope to send the saliva sample. The kit costs a mere $20, and the testing can cost anything between $79 - $249, depending on the things being tested for. The company offers tests to check for more than 70 diseases, and also for pre-pregnancy planning.
- FDA Warning Causes Walgreens' Halt On Genetic Testing Kit - May 14, 2010
- Unapproved Heart Pills sold to millions - Mar 29, 2010
- Millions Of Unapproved Heart Pills Sold By Pharmacists: Says FDA - Mar 29, 2010
- FDA Nixes Weight Loss Drug Lorcaserin On Safety Ground - Oct 26, 2010
- Police seize illicit medicines from web merchants - Nov 20, 2009
- Goa ice cream parlour sealed after owner's obnoxious act - Jun 20, 2012
- FDA rejects combo cholesterol drug - Mar 07, 2012
- Eggs recalled in US over salmonella scare - Nov 10, 2010
- Obama takes action to reduce medicine scarcity - Nov 01, 2011
- Surgeon pioneers gallbladder removal through belly button - Dec 30, 2011
- Gutka pouches worth Rs.one million seized in Goa - Jun 04, 2011
- Bacterial contamination found in the recalled Tylenol products - May 05, 2010
- Bristol Myers Get Approval For Their Diabetes Drug - Nov 07, 2010
- Virgin Trent Arsenault fathers 15 kids - Feb 09, 2012
- Candy Cigarettes Suffer A Ban - Jun 24, 2010
Tags: administration officials, backburner, clarity, diseases, fda, fda officials, food and drug, food and drug administration, genetic test, pharmacy stores, plastic tube, pre pregnancy, pregnancy planning, saliva, san diego, test kits, walgreens