Wal-mart to sell caskets and urns onlineOctober 29th, 2009 - 10:30 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Bentonville, Oct 29 (THAINDIAN News) Wal-Mart is expanding and its latest offerings include caskets and urns, which it will sell online. It sells around 15 caskets and dozens of urns on its site.
Wal-Mart has started selling caskets online on its website at discounted prices that undercut many funeral homes who have been the major seller of caskets for long.
Wal-Mart quietly followed the pattern set by discount rival Costco, which also sells caskets on its site.
Prices range from $999 steel caskets to the mid-level $1,699 “Executive Privilege.” All are less than $2,000, except for the high-end Sienna Bronze Casket, which sells for $3,199.
“I think it’s great,” said Rep. Paul Wesselhoft, R-Moore. He had attempted 2 years ago to change the laws which prevent Oklahoma companies from selling caskets online was rejected by a state legislative committee.
“If someone wants to buy a casket online from Costco in California, they have to accept it,” Wesselhoft said. “But the funeral homes hate it because they (the national retailers) charge a third of what they charge here.”
Wesselhoft still scoffs at such talk. “There is nothing mystical about what you’re buying,” he said. “They’re either wood or aluminum and can be made in a number of shops at far less expense. People who are grieving are being pressured to buy caskets they really can’t afford.”
- Michelle Obama, Wal-Mart team up for healthy food campaign - Jan 21, 2011
- Black Friday Deals Make Gadget Lovers Smiling! - Nov 06, 2010
- Black Friday Sales Frenzy Intensifies The Competition Among Retailers - Nov 22, 2009
- Wal-Mart Hit By Shoplifting Amidst Cyber Monday Sales Season - Nov 28, 2010
- Wal-Mart looking into the reasons why their Black Friday 2010 ads was leaked - Nov 15, 2010
- Countless Mesmerizing 'Black Friday 2010' Offers Already Enunciated - Nov 19, 2010
- Black Friday 2010 Ads By Wal-Mart Leaked Online - Nov 15, 2010
- Wal-Mart Q3 profit below estimates - Nov 16, 2011
- Wal-Mart Intends To Terminate Extra Pay For Its Employees Functioning On Sunday - Dec 09, 2010
- Cyber Monday Unveils Bonanza For Gaming Addicts - Nov 30, 2010
- Wal-Mart & Target engage in a price war over toys - Nov 09, 2010
- Networks, not size, determine cities' economic prosperity - Aug 31, 2010
- Wal-Mart to cut 300 positions at Arkansas HQ - Feb 04, 2010
- Wal-Mart & Amazon indulge in book price war - Oct 20, 2009
- Wal Mart Unveils Killer Black Friday 2009 Deals - Nov 19, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,