Wal-Mart arrest could head to trialNovember 17th, 2009 - 2:04 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
St. Louis, Nov 16 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Heather Ellis switched checkout lines at a southeast Missouri Wal-Mart store three years ago and it simply changed her life. That day a dispute began that reeks of racism too, and if the case goes to trial then heather Ellis could also be looking at a prison sentence for 15 years.
‘Witnesses have told authorities that Ellis cut in front of waiting customers at the Wal-Mart in Kennett on Jan. 6, 2007, shoved merchandise already placed on a conveyor belt out of the way, and became belligerent when confronted’, according to court filings.
Ellis however claims that she was only joining her cousin, whose checkout line was moving faster. She claimed in a written complaint to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People that she was mistreated all over. As she was then pushed by a white customer, hassled by store employees, called racial slurs and even physically mistreated by Kennett police officers.
Officer A.W. Fisher wrote in a probable cause statement that Ellis was given “every opportunity” to listen to the police officers and leave the store. He said that she even swore at him and was very violent when she was being arrested.
“Incidents involving our customers are unfortunate and we take them seriously,” Wal-Mart Stores Inc. Spokesman Lorenzo Lopez said in a statement earlier this month. “In this matter, there was a disturbance and law enforcement was contacted, in accordance with our normal procedures. The police then determined how to proceed.”
- Michelle Obama, Wal-Mart team up for healthy food campaign - Jan 21, 2011
- Privacy Concerns Generated As Wal-Mart Resolves To Position Smart Tags On Males' Attires - Jul 25, 2010
- Wal-Mart Q3 profit below estimates - Nov 16, 2011
- Arrest made in the Wal-mart's 'All Black People Leave' case - Mar 20, 2010
- Wal-Mart Hit By Shoplifting Amidst Cyber Monday Sales Season - Nov 28, 2010
- Black Friday 2010 Ads By Wal-Mart Leaked Online - Nov 15, 2010
- Wal-Mart showcases a new postpaid cell phone plan - Sep 14, 2010
- People boycott Wal-mart after their announcement that all black people leave the store - Mar 18, 2010
- Man dressed in cow suit robs milk at Walmart - Apr 29, 2011
- Wal-Mart Intends To Terminate Extra Pay For Its Employees Functioning On Sunday - Dec 09, 2010
- Wal-Mart to cut 300 positions at Arkansas HQ - Feb 04, 2010
- Wal-Mart all set to withdraw its extra pay scheme for Sundays - Dec 09, 2010
- Mexico probes Wal-Mart bribery allegations - Apr 27, 2012
- Wal-Mart's Extra Pay Policy For Sunday Coming To An End - Dec 09, 2010
- Wal-Mart withdraws toxic 'Miley Cyrus jewelry' - May 20, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,