Vandals destroy the cemetery where the Wright Brothers are buriedSeptember 23rd, 2010 - 8:00 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Sep 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The city’s famous burial ground was damaged by vandals. According to police reports the estimated damage is around $25,000. Vandals have not only damaged cemetery of the Wright brothers and poet Paul Laurence Dunbar in Dayton, Ohio but also dozens of other gravesites.
Workers found 62 sites vandalized on Monday morning, it was found that stones on the grave were knocked down. Workers told the police that the American flag and an aviation flag were completely broken on the grave of the Wright Brother’s. And apart from that a flag honoring the poet Paul Laurence site was also found to be reduced to ashes.
When contacted David FitzSimmons, who is the president and CEO of the facility, then he said that wasn’t available for answering any questions about the damage caused by vandals.
Lt. Larry Faulkner, commander of the Central Business District, told the reports that this is not uncommon incident.
Stephen Wright, the great-grandnephew of the Wright brothers expressed his grievances on the issue and hope the person caused the damage to the site is caught.
The cemetery was founded in year 1841, near Great Miami River. The woodland site is a big asset for the city and damage caused to it is a big let down for the officials taking care of the site.
- Graves Of Wright Brothers Vandalized - Sep 23, 2010
- Desecration of holy sites intolerable: Netanyahu - Oct 09, 2011
- A requiem for dead at Himachal's cemeteries (With Image) - Jan 10, 2012
- Indian among three jailed for stealing ex-president's corpse - May 17, 2011
- Woodchunks suspected in cemetery flags theft case - Jul 09, 2012
- John F. Kennedy grave site restoration in progress - Oct 31, 2010
- Chinese cemetery fined for selling oversized graves - Apr 14, 2012
- 25 labourers in Gurgaon sent to jail on arson charges - Mar 24, 2012
- 900 bodies found in mass grave in Iraq - Jul 07, 2011
- Martin Luther King's 45-year-old speech found - Apr 12, 2009
- WWII Assam cemetery being dug for Japanese troops' remains - Jan 19, 2012
- 'Vandal pinned down by Jesus tombstone Down Under' - Apr 13, 2010
- Workers have seized Manesar plant: Maruti - Oct 11, 2011
- French couple shocked to find grave of son thought to be alive - Aug 21, 2010
- Terrified City Council Woman Dumped in Open Grave - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: american flag, aviation, burial ground, central business district, ceo, david fitzsimmons, dayton ohio, dozens, great miami river, grievances, larry faulkner, lt, monday morning, paul laurence dunbar, poet, vandals, wright brother, wright brothers