UW Madison Cancels Wednesday Classes Owing To Foul WeatherDecember 9th, 2009 - 7:28 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Dec.09, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Owing to incessant harsh weather, the University of Wisconsin-Madison has called off all its classes and activities for Wednesday. The news of class suspension was posted in UW-Madison’s Twitter account as well as its official site. As one can expect, a lot of people checked in on the site, clogging it in the end. To tackle the heavy site traffic, UW Madison came up with a lighter low bandwidth version of the site. The University informed its non teaching staff to stay at home.
Biddy Martin, the Chancellor of the University,said in his statement that the security and well being of staff, faculty and the students is of paramount importance to the university. He said in his online comment that the campus community would do better to stay off the roads for the day. John Lucas, a spokesman for the university revealed that this massive class call off did not happen in the history of the university before 1990. However, the university said that it will have to maintain essential campus services. These include animal care, snow removal and patient care etc. The state is reeling under a blizzard warning and the Wisconsin governor called an early emergency. The roads are likely to turn hazardous.
Madison is expected to receive huge amount of snowfall by Wednesday. The snow accumulation can be up to 16 inches, the weather experts feel. The area will also face strong winds blowing above 35mph and as a result visibility will drop abysmally. Though the situation will not be as bad as Milwaukee, people need to be cautious before stepping out. In Milwaukee, the administration is taking all steps to prevent road accidents that accompany heavy snow falls.
- Milwaukee Blizzard To Hit The City Hard - Feb 02, 2011
- 'Nobel Laureate Har Gobind Khorana revolutionised biotechnology' - Nov 12, 2011
- Good grades lead to better health: Study - Dec 08, 2010
- Indoor pollution ups cardio risk among women - Jul 10, 2011
- Climate change stifling ocean's carbon uptake - Jul 11, 2011
- How eating less can make you live longer - Nov 19, 2010
- Chicago Blizzard 2011 Disrupts Normal Life, Smacks Cities - Feb 03, 2011
- Astronomy technique can help detect deadly melanoma - Apr 28, 2011
- New technology simplifies embryonic stem cell culturing - Nov 15, 2010
- Snowy Weather Leads To School Closings - Dec 17, 2010
- Early warning signal for ecosystem collapse detected by scientists - Apr 29, 2011
- University Of Illinois' Classes Remains Suspended Owing To Chicago Blizzard - Feb 02, 2011
- Physicists create circuit for new generation computer - Feb 27, 2010
- Parents of grown kids with autism 'more likely to divorce' - Aug 04, 2010
- Like humans, monkeys can recognize themselves in mirrors - Sep 30, 2010
Tags: bandwidth version, biddy martin, foul weather, harsh weather, heavy snow, john lucas, low bandwidth, paramount importance, ranjan, road accidents, snow accumulation, snow removal, snowfall, staff faculty, strong winds, twitter, university of wisconsin madison, uw madison, weather experts, wisconsin governor