UVA Students Seek Path To AtonementMay 10th, 2010 - 7:27 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Virginia, May 10, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Students of the University of Virginia got together to pay homage to one of their fellow students, Yeardley Love, after the latter passed away earlier this month when she was murdered by another student of the University and allegedly her boyfriend, George Huguely. The UVA students gathered at the amphitheater in the campus for a candlelight vigil arranged this Wednesday to pay their last respects to the fourth-year lacrosse player.
The Virginia Belles performed to the “I’ll Stand by You” song at the start of the candlelight program, during which lighted candles spread from one hand to another, depicting solidarity, as is also portrayed in the song. The entire program was captured in the cameras of all the media houses in the country after the Yeardley Love incident has captured the attention of big and small ever since it took place.
Yeardley Love was a fourth year student of the University of Virginia who was killed in her apartment outside the campus. George Huguely, the boy who killed her was also a fellow student and is now in police custody. Speaking on the occasion, Sarah Elaine Hart, the fourth year president said that Yeardley Love was one of the sweetest and kindest girls in the entire university and that her death has come as a big blow to the students.
It is spring now in the United States, a time to welcome new life. However, here the students of the University of Virginia were grieving over the death of their friend, probably trying to walk the path of atonement and again establish the “community of trust” that their institution is based on.
- UVA Lacrosse Player Found Dead In Apartment - May 04, 2010
- Charges Made In University of Virginia Lacrosse Slaying - May 04, 2010
- Dental student jumps to death - Oct 07, 2011
- Engineering student commits suicide - Mar 09, 2011
- Tripura medical student commits suicide for 'Orkut' lover - Nov 05, 2010
- Lucknow supports Hazare with fasts, processions - Apr 08, 2011
- Oxford University girls forced to dress as babies in bizarre initiation ritual - Oct 30, 2010
- Rebecca Black leaves school because of bullying - Aug 11, 2011
- Amity students hold candlelight vigil for Dana Sangma - Apr 27, 2012
- Female student's private sex life thesis makes waves in cyber space - Oct 08, 2010
- Gurgaon students hold demonstrations for Dana Sangma - May 01, 2012
- Former Lacrosse team captain Will Barrow dies Saturday in Charlottesville - Nov 24, 2008
- Children victims of most eye injuries from aerosols - Apr 14, 2011
- JNU's Tibetan students pay homage to 'martyr' - Mar 29, 2012
- Oxford students wear nappies, drink from baby bottles - Oct 30, 2010
Tags: apartment, atonement, cameras, candlelight vigil, candles, elaine hart, fellow student, fellow students, fourth year, gina gomez, girls, homage, last respects, love, media houses, police custody, solidarity, united states, university of virginia, uva students