US troops were also a part of the ‘Victory Day’ parade on the Red SquareMay 11th, 2010 - 1:30 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Moscow, May 10 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The troops of US, France and Britain were also part of the ‘Victory Day’ parade on the Red Square for the very first time. The Russian troops were also there in full force, but at the same time there was some emphasis on the international military forces as well. This move to have the international forces as part of the Victory Day celebrations on the Red Square has upset many Russian citizens.
The Victory Day celebrations are a process of commemorating the defeat of Nazi Germany in 1945. And this day has mostly been used by the Russians to snigger at the West, but this year the inclusion of the US, French and the British troops has puzzled many people.
President Dmitry Medvedev said that, “Today at this solemn parade, the soldiers of Russia, the states of the CIS and the anti-Hitler coalition march together. Only together can we counter present-day threats. Only as good neighbors can we resolve problems of global security in order that the ideals of justice and good triumph in all of the world and that the lives of future generations will be free and happy.” Many foreign dignitaries like German Chancellor Angela Merkel, China’s Hu Jintao, Israeli President Shimon Peres and the acting Polish President Bronislaw Komorowski attended the parade.
- Chinese president meets Russian WWII veterans - May 08, 2010
- Russia hosts spectacular 65th `V-Day' parade in Red Square - May 09, 2010
- Victory Day parade held on Moscow's Red Square - May 09, 2010
- Medvedev to meet World War II veterans - May 08, 2011
- Russian president unveils WWII memorial - May 08, 2010
- Russian military to wear berets for first time - Apr 15, 2011
- Polish first lady may visit plane crash site - Jan 31, 2011
- Poland to have new government in November - Oct 14, 2011
- Komorowski wins Poland presidential election (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Polish president slams hooliganism at Euro 2012 - Jun 15, 2012
- Komorowski to be inaugurated as Polish president - Aug 06, 2010
- Thousands pay homage to Polish plane crash victims - Apr 17, 2010
- US missile deal was a mistake: Poland - Aug 05, 2012
- Polish president plays down outside threats to Euro 2012 - May 17, 2012
- Komorowski wins Polish presidential election (Second Lead) - Jul 06, 2010
Tags: angela merkel, british troops, chancellor angela merkel, dmitry medvedev, foreign dignitaries, future generations, german chancellor angela merkel, good neighbors, hu jintao, international military forces, israeli president, komorowski, nazi germany, polish president, red square, russian citizens, russian troops, shimon peres, us france, victory day