U.S. self-help author James Arthur Ray found guilty of negligent homicideJune 23rd, 2011 - 10:06 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Yavapai County, June 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A motivational speaker in the United States could be jailed up to 11 years after he was found guilty on three counts of negligent homicide. 53-year-old James Arthur Ray was found guilty in connection with the death of three participants of an event that he organized in October of 2009.
During the event which was held at a location near Sedona, Arizona, three of the participants collapsed and died during sweat lodge exercise. 40-year-old James Shore and 38-year-old Kirby Brown died instantly during the exercise. The third person, 49-year-old Liz Neuman remained in coma for about a week before she also died. Eighteen other participants who took part in the exercise were also hospitalized for various conditions including kidney failure, breathing problems, burns, increased body temperature and dehydration.
After police investigation, Ray was arrested by the police on the 3rd of February 2010 and charged with three counts of manslaughter and three counts of negligent homicide. The court failed to find him guilty in the charges of manslaughter after the jury deliberated for about seven hours.
Ray held the event at the Angel Valley Retreat Center. About 50 participants took part in the event which cost $10,000 per participant.
- Sweat Lodge Ceremony Deaths Billed As Homicide - Oct 18, 2009
- Sweat Lodge Death Guru Can't Make Bond - Feb 22, 2010
- Goalposts moved in Dr Death's manslaughter trial - Mar 02, 2011
- James Arthur Ray Arrested Regarding Sweat Lodge Incident - Feb 04, 2010
- Michael Jackson doctor found guilty of manslaughter - Nov 08, 2011
- Michael Jackson's personal physician convicted of involuntary manslaughter - Nov 08, 2011
- Ramdev trains guns on Chidambaram - Sep 27, 2011
- 'Dr Death' Jayant Patel's lawyers lodge appeal in manslaughter case - Jul 15, 2010
- 18-year-old runner dies during half marathon - Jan 03, 2012
- Indian man jailed for five years for killing toddler Gurshan in Melbourne - Feb 02, 2011
- British MP's party gatecrashed through Facebook - Aug 26, 2011
- Tucson shooting suspect charged with murders of judge, congressional aide - Mar 05, 2011
- Michael Jackson's former general manager pleads guilty to tax charges - Jun 23, 2011
- Pizza delivery man in Australia had sex with 14-year-old girl for 9 months - Feb 17, 2011
- US couple put on wanted list for Russian boy's death - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: 11 years, angel valley, author james, body temperature, breathing problems, dehydration, james arthur ray, kidney failure, kirby, manslaughter, motivational speaker, negligent homicide, neuman, police investigation, retreat center, sedona arizona, seven hours, sweat lodge, third person, three participants