U.S. Navy plane carrying four service members crashes in the North Arabian SeaMarch 31st, 2010 - 7:53 pm ICT by BNO News
MANAMA, BAHRAIN (BNO NEWS) — Three U.S. service members were injured and a fourth remains missing after a U.S. Navy aircraft crashed in the North Arabian Sea on Wednesday, officials said.
The E-2C Hawkeye aircraft from the Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 121, stationed aboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, crashed at sea at approximately 2 p.m. local time while operating in the North Arabian Sea.
“Three of the four crew members have been rescued and returned to the ship,” a statement from the U.S. Navy’s Fifth Fleet. “Search and rescue efforts for the fourth crew member are currently underway.” A spokesman said the service members are recovering, but had no details on their conditions.
The E-2C was returning from conducting operations in support of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) when the aircraft experienced mechanical malfunctions and the crew performed a controlled bailout.
The E-2 Hawkeye is the Navy’s all-weather, carrier-based tactical battle management airborne early warning, command and control aircraft. The E-2 is a twin engine, five crewmember, high-wing turboprop aircraft with a 24-foot diameter radar rotodome attached to the upper fuselage.
The U.S. Navy said the incident is under investigation.
- US aircraft crashes in Gulf, search on for missing crew member - Apr 01, 2010
- Indo-French naval wargames to begin in Arabian Sea - Jan 06, 2011
- French carrier in India for joint naval drill - Jan 06, 2011
- US deployed three aircraft carriers to support Operation Geronimo - May 11, 2011
- Indian Navy thwarts pirate attack; rescues Chinese vessel, crew (Lead, with Images) - May 06, 2011
- Indian Navy saves Chinese ship from pirates (Roundup) - May 06, 2011
- Indian Navy foils another piracy attempt - Nov 12, 2010
- US forces rescue six more Iranian sailors - Jan 11, 2012
- Indian Navy arrests 61 pirates, rescues 13 sailors - Mar 14, 2011
- US Navy rescues 13 Iranians from Somali pirates - Jan 07, 2012
- Indian Navy foils pirate attack on Chinese vessel - May 06, 2011
- President reviews naval fleet (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- U.S. pilot among three killed in small plane crash in Indonesia - Sep 22, 2011
- Three die when South Korean vessel catches fire near Antarctica - Jan 12, 2012
- Navy helicopter crew to get gallantry award - Jan 25, 2011
Tags: 2c hawkeye, arabian sea, battle management, bno, control aircraft, dwight d eisenhower, fifth fleet, foot diameter, manama bahrain, mechanical malfunctions, navy aircraft, navy plane, oef, operation enduring freedom, rescue efforts, service members, turboprop aircraft, u s navy, upper fuselage, uss dwight d eisenhower