US Navy developing a super powerful RailgunMarch 1st, 2012 - 12:01 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, Feb 29 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The US army’s vision to have electromagnetic superweapons for the navy by the year 2020 is very much on course. The making of the futuristic weapon, which is expected to increase the US’ dominance on the sea, reached a major milestone when the first prototype was tested.
The Navy believes that the Railguns will help them take out enemy ships and hit targets on land. This will go a long way to help marines in offensive against enemy countries.
The prototype is being tested and the phase will last until 2017. The vision is that the weapon will be able to fire 40-pound projectiles to distances of over 10 to 100 miles. The weapon will also be able to shoot at speed of 5,600 mph. the gun should also be able to fire 10 guided projectiles per second at the max speed.
The gun is being manufactured by BAE Systems. The program manager for the railgun at the Office of Naval Research, Roger Ellis, told reporters that, “There is potential to replace the 5-inch gun, but it would do far more.”
General Atomics is making another prototype of the gun and it will be ready for testing in April.
- US tests electricity-fired long-range weapon - Feb 29, 2012
- Weapon hits target 100 miles away within minutes in record-setting test - Dec 11, 2010
- A cannon that fires shells at hypersonic speed - Dec 13, 2010
- Putin allows high-tech gun that hits nervous system - Apr 01, 2012
- Navy launches first fighter jet that uses electromagnetism, not steam - Dec 25, 2010
- US developing 'flying' armoured vehicle - Dec 02, 2010
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- Shuttlecock shooters to control crowds in Russia - Jun 07, 2012
- China's latest stealth aircraft J-20 takes a test run - Jan 05, 2011
- FAQs on Bofors guns and graft row - Apr 25, 2012
- US Navy's laser test could spell trouble for pirates - Apr 15, 2011
- British navy can now intercept supersonic missiles - Jan 30, 2012
- BAE Systems M777 howitzer sales exceed 1 bn pounds - Jul 19, 2010
- Look-to-shoot helmet to redefine aerial dogfights - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: bae systems, distances, enemy countries, enemy ships, feb 29, general atomics, inch gun, marines, max speed, milestone, navy, office of naval research, projectiles, prototype, railgun, railguns, s vision, superweapons, us army, us dominance