US man arrested in Suu Kyi’s compoundMay 7th, 2009 - 8:29 pm ICT by GD
According to the most recent news an American man has been arrested because he was allegedly trying to enter Aung San Suu Kyi’s home. The man has been identified as John William Yeattaw and he swam across the Inya Lake. Reports reveal that Yeattaw was hiding in Suu Kyi’s compound. When he was trying to escape from Suu Kyi’s house he was caught from the lake early Wednesday. However, the people are still unaware of his motives.
According to the local residents near Suu Kyi’s house, there were more than 20 people who entered her compound on Thursday morning. At the present moment the house is being strictly monitored by heavy security with barbed-wire barricades and checkpoints.
It must be mentioned that Aung San Suu Kyi is the detained rebel leader who has been held under house arrest for more than 13 years for the last 19 years. In addition to this she is not allowed to have any visitors. Only her doctor and some of her party members can visit her on rare occasions. Suu Kyi has not been seen in public for quite some time now.
The Myanma Ahlin report has mentioned that Yeattaw confessed that he swam across the lake on Sunday evening and that he had entered Suu Kyi’s home where he stayed till Tuesday night. In Yangon, a spokesman from the US embassy has confirmed Yeattaw’s arrest and said “right now we don’t know anything more than what is generally known, that this man was arrested for swimming across the lake and wound up being at Aung San Suu Kyi’s house.”
- Myanmar arrests US citizen for visiting Aung San Suu Kyi - May 07, 2009
- Myanmar allows US officials to meet arrested swimmer - May 14, 2009
- Aung San Suu Kyi reportedly to be freed in November - Jan 25, 2010
- Accept appeal against detention, Suu Kyi tells court - Dec 21, 2009
- Verdict in Aung San Suu Kyi case expected Friday - Jul 28, 2009
- US envoy meets Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi - Nov 04, 2009
- Dalai Lama meets fellow Nobel icon Suu Kyi - Jun 20, 2012
- Aung San Suu Kyi - also a style icon - May 29, 2012
- Burma court rejects Suu Kyi's appeal to end her house arrest - Oct 02, 2009
- Malaysian actress deported from Myanmar - Jun 28, 2011
- Myanmar rejects lawyer for Aung San Suu Kyi (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Suu Kyi released -- finally (Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Suu Kyi told PM about `difficulties' - May 30, 2012
- Cameron to meet Suu Kyi in Myanmar - Apr 10, 2012
- Myanmar opposition leader Suu Kyi to renovate home-cum-prison - Aug 31, 2009
Tags: 13 years, 19 years, american man, aung san suu, aung san suu kyi, barbed wire, barricades, checkpoints, heavy security, house arrest, inya lake, party members, present moment, quite some time, rare occasions, rebel leader, san suu kyi, sunday evening, thursday morning, us embassy