US: ‘Iran preparing suicide bomb boats’February 13th, 2012 - 8:18 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Tehran, Feb 13 (THAINDIAN NEWS) US officials say Iran has prepared suicide boats to fight foreign forces on the Gulf. Tehran has threatened the United States and other Western nations from operating on the Gulf.
US naval officers say they are ready for the threat that the Iranians pose on the water. Vice Admiral Mark Fox revealed to reporters that the United States have seen the strategy of the Iranian forces. He however assured that the country has come up with a strategy to counter the threat.
He revealed that, “They have increased the number of submarines … they increased the number of fast attack craft. Some of the small boats have been outfitted with a large warhead that could be used as a suicide explosive device. The Iranians have a large mine inventory… We have watched with interest their development of long range rockets and short, medium and long range ballistic missiles and of course … the development of their nuclear programme.”
Officials announced that Iran currently has 10 submarines. However with the strong presence of U.S. Navy’s Fifth Fleet, the threat of the Iranians is minimized. The US is also wary of the vulnerability of the carrier because of the 1996 Al Qaeda attack on the U.S.S. Cole in Yemen.
- Iran missile programme no threat to Europe: French official - May 04, 2012
- Iran praises 'humanitarian' US navy - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran developing n-powered submarine - Jun 13, 2012
- Iran to shut Hormuz Strait if threatened: Officials - Jul 07, 2012
- Iran threatens legal action over oil embargo - Jul 05, 2012
- Iran test-fires ballistic missiles - Jul 03, 2012
- Unilateral sanctions shouldn't impact legitimate trade with Iran: India (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Missiles of the world - a look at countries' arsenals - Apr 19, 2012
- Iranian navy saves US vessel from pirates - May 24, 2012
- Iran monitors US warships movement in Persian Gulf: Navy chief - Sep 05, 2012
- US Navy rescues 13 Iranians from Somali pirates - Jan 07, 2012
- Amid Western pressure, India, Iran seek closer economic ties (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- EU accepts Iran talks offer - Mar 06, 2012
- US, Britain planning to attack Iran: Report - Nov 03, 2011
- US warships in Gulf 'sitting ducks' for Iran missiles - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: al qaeda, attack craft, explosive device, fifth fleet, iran, iranians, mark fox, presence, range ballistic missiles, rockets, small boats, submarines, suicide bomb, tehran, u s navy, united states, vice admiral, vulnerability, warhead, yemen