U.S. government warns citizens of violent anti-U.S. demonstrations around the worldSeptember 10th, 2010 - 12:26 am ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) — The U.S. State Department on Thursday issued a global travel alert to warn its citizens of potential anti-U.S. demonstrations over a proposed Koran burning event in Florida.
“The Department of State is issuing this Travel Alert to caution U.S. citizens of the potential for anti-U.S. demonstrations in many countries in response to stated plans by a church in Florida to burn Qur’ans on the anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks,” the alert read. “Demonstrations, some violent, have already taken place in several countries, including Afghanistan and Indonesia, in response to media reports of the church’s plans.”
The U.S. State Department said the potential for further - violent - protests and demonstrations remains high, and urged Americans around the world to pay attention to local reaction to the situation and avoid areas where demonstrations may take place.
“We also remind you of the continuing threat to U.S. interests and citizens posed by various terrorist groups,” the department added. “U.S. government facilities worldwide remain at a heightened state of alert. These facilities may temporarily close or periodically suspend public services to assess their security posture.”
The global Travel Alert was issued soon after Interpol also issued a global alert, warning its 188 member countries that terrorist attacks are likely if the proposed event goes ahead as planned.
- U.S. government, Interpol warn of violent anti-U.S. demonstrations around the world - Sep 10, 2010
- Quran controversy prompts US travel alert - Sep 10, 2010
- Condemnation of planned Qur'an burning in Florida grows - Sep 08, 2010
- Interpol warns of global terror threat if U.S. Koran burning continues, issues alert - Sep 09, 2010
- Florida Church's Plan To Burn Qur'an Condemned By Secretary Of State Hillary Clinton - Sep 08, 2010
- FBI fears Jihadis may attack in retaliation at Koran burning event on Sept 11 - Sep 09, 2010
- US issues worldwide travel alert for its nationals - Oct 12, 2011
- Interpol: Global Alert High Terror Threat If Dove World Outreach Center Burns Quran! - Sep 09, 2010
- US issues travel warning over anti-American violence in terror-threat countries - May 02, 2011
- U.S. government issues travel alert for Egypt, warns against non-essential travel - Jan 29, 2011
- US warns Americans against retaliatory violence - May 02, 2011
- Dove World Outreach Church To Go Ahead With Qur'an Burning Plan - Sep 08, 2010
- U.S. urges citizens not to travel to Kyrgyzstan amid deadly demonstrations - Apr 10, 2010
- U.S. State Department issues Travel Warning for Afghanistan - Aug 13, 2010
- U.S. issues travel alert for Europe amid fears of terrorist attacks - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: afghanistan, anniversary, bno, citizens, demonstrations, department of state, global alert, global travel, government facilities, indonesia, koran, member countries, posture, security posture, september 11 2001, september 11 2001 terrorist attacks, state department, terrorist groups, violent protests, washington d c