US-born panda Hua Mei gives birth to her 8th cub in ChinaSeptember 20th, 2010 - 12:06 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Sep 19 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The US-born panda Hua Mei has created a record of sorts by giving birth to her 8th cub in China. It sure is an accomplishment of a sort, because the pandas are known to be very poor breeders. The newborn cub is a male and he was born at 3 am on Friday and was said to weigh about 162 grams at birth, according to officials from the Wolong China Giant Panda Protection and Research Center.
Hua Mei is also mother to 3 sets of twin pandas. The newborn cub is yet to be named by the officials of the Wolong China Giant Panda Protection and Research Center. With the latest addition, the center already had 16 panda births in this year till now. In 2009 also, the center saw 16 panda cubs being born.
The mother of eight – Hua Mei was born in US and thus she was named Hua-Mei, which literally means “China-America”. She was born in the San Diego Zoo in August 1999. When she was 5 years old, then she came to China and since then has stayed in the Wolong China Giant Panda Protection and Research Center.
- 'Olympics panda' born in China - Jul 29, 2012
- Panda twins born in China - Jul 11, 2012
- Giant panda gives birth at Washington zoo - Sep 18, 2012
- Panda gives birth to sixth cub at San Diego zoo - Jul 30, 2012
- China's 'spoilt' pandas - Jun 18, 2011
- Panda still endangered despite baby boom - Sep 03, 2010
- Panda Quan Quan's death blamed on gas poisoning - Jul 28, 2010
- China releases pregnant pandas into the wild - Jul 26, 2010
- Dog plays mom to three tiger cubs - Jun 11, 2012
- Three lion cubs die at Chhattisgarh zoo - Aug 03, 2012
- Another tiger cub dies in Bihar - Sep 03, 2012
- Artificial insemination planned for mainland's giant panda in Taiwan - Feb 11, 2011
- No romance for Delhi zoo's bears, deer this winter - Nov 20, 2011
- Tiger cub dies, two others critical - Aug 29, 2012
- Third tiger cub at Patna zoo also dead - Sep 04, 2012