Unusual Movement Of Frogs Lead To Fears Of Earthquake In GreeceMay 31st, 2010 - 7:47 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Thessaloniki, Greece, May 31, (THAINDIAN NEWS) On last Wednesday, hoards of frogs were seen flooding one of the busiest highways of Greece. Though apparently many thought that the frogs were leaving a nearby lake in search of food, others linked the unusual movement and shift of frogs to be a warning of an unknown but impending earthquake.
The fear had settled in the heart of many residents as some reports claim that animals and amphibians get an inkling of the disaster from beforehand and show unusual behavior accordingly. Some reports claim that unusual behavior of frogs was noticed days before the China Earthquake in 2008. The massive China earthquake resulted to the death of thousands of people. In Italy last year frogs reportedly started gathering days before the major earthquake hit the country. A study conducted by Dr. Rachel Grant of the Open University, in Milton Keynes, United Kingdom found that just before the Italy earthquake, the frogs moved from their natural habitat to safer destinations from where they could not be washed away. People of Greece now reportedly fear that perhaps a disastrous earthquake is yet to strike the country. However, no such warnings have yet been issued by the meteorological departments.
Even on Thursday reports claimed that thousands of frogs were flooding the highway and leading to the traffic snarl thereafter. Though at the beginning the officials had to close the roads altogether it later directed the traffic and opened a part of the road for the traffic to pass. Some parts of the highway were closed after three cars skidded off the road while trying to pass safely through the roads.
- Is the 'Flood of frogs' a warning about an earthquake in Greece? - May 31, 2010
- Flood of frogs closes down a highway in Greece - May 27, 2010
- Mass Departure Of The Frogs A Precursor To The Earthquake In Greece? - May 31, 2010
- Frogs Flood Greece, Precursor To a Major Earthquake? - May 27, 2010
- Frogs invade Greek highway, paralyse traffic - May 26, 2010
- British drought brings harsh time for wildlife - Mar 19, 2012
- Icy roads lead to car crashes in Chinese province - Jan 07, 2011
- Assault charges levied on Amy Winehouse - Dec 24, 2009
- Search on for 'lost amphibians' before they go extinct - Aug 09, 2010
- Nearly 200 dead in Nepal accidents this year - Jul 15, 2012
- Local trains hit as rains lash Mumbai - Aug 29, 2011
- One dead, 200 drivers trapped in Greece car crash - Dec 24, 2011
- One-way traffic on Jammu-Srinagar highway (With Images) - Jan 11, 2012
- 60 dead as cold snap grips Italy - Feb 12, 2012
- 39 people have died in Himachal rains - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: china earthquake, disaster, disastrous earthquake, dr rachel, earthquake in greece, fear, fears, frogs, highways, hoards, inkling, kar, meena, milton keynes, natural habitat, nearby lake, open university, rachel grant, thessaloniki greece, unusual behavior