Unique medieval coin found in GloucesterFebruary 16th, 2012 - 9:32 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Gloucester, Feb 16 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A metal detectorist Maureen Jones has found a rare medieval coin in Gloucester. The unique coin dates back between 1077 and 1080 and has the name of the minter and where it was minted.
The find is very significant because it provides the missing piece in the puzzle surrounding the timeline of the operation of the Gloucester mint. The coin was minted during the reign of William the Conqueror. This is the first time that a coin minted between 1077 and 1080 has been discovered.
During a chat with the press, Maureen revealed that she is excited with the find. She is a member of the professional team The Taynton Metal Detecting Club.
She narrated that, “I went out with two other ladies to an open field and that’s where I found it. I know it’s a silver hammered coin but I didn’t recognise the king. It’s quite amazing.”
Maureen has given the coin to the Portable Antiquities Scheme where analysis of the coin has been done. Officials say they will return the coin to her after the analysis is completed.
Experts predict that the coin would have been very worthy at the time that it was lost almost a thousand years back.
- RBI to probe illegal coins circulated in Mumbai markets - Jan 24, 2012
- Sarah Legg overjoyed to get rare 50p coin - Dec 16, 2010
- Rare silver coins from 11th century discovered in England - Sep 26, 2009
- Most expensive coin on Taj to be released in Paris - Nov 14, 2010
- US President wants cheaper pennies and nickels - Feb 16, 2012
- Rare 1793 Penny fetches more than $1 million at Florida auction - Jan 09, 2012
- Rare US Gold Coins Found In London Garden - Oct 19, 2010
- 2,100-yr-old Greek coin offers insights into rare astronomical event - Jan 16, 2011
- China's largest gold coin auctioned for $1.18 mn - May 16, 2011
- 700 year-old gold coins found in Israel - Jul 09, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee releases Rs.150 commemorative coin - Feb 26, 2011
- Critics slam likeness of Wills, Kate on new commemorative coin - Dec 24, 2010
- Six arrested over Euro coins racket - Apr 01, 2011
- Delhi Police bust coin melting gang - Jan 07, 2011
- RBI mulling doubling coins: Pranab - Mar 31, 2012