Unidentified gunmen attack Iranian bus in eastern Turkey, injuring 8November 16th, 2011 - 3:28 pm ICT by BNO News
ANKARA (BNO NEWS) — Unidentified gunmen attacked an Iranian bus in eastern Turkey on Tuesday, local media reported on Wednesday. Eight people, including a young child, were injured in the shooting.
The attack happened when two men opened fire on a bus in the eastern province of Van, which is still recovering from a powerful earthquake which struck the region last month and left more than 600 people killed. The bus was en-route to Syria with 40 passengers on board.
According to the Hurriyet Daily News website, the gunmen had initially signaled the bus driver to stop. However, the bus driver instead sped away at high speed to a nearby police station as the gunmen opened fire on the vehicle.
Officials said eight people, including the bus driver and a seven-year-old child, were injured and transported to nearby hospitals. The suspects fled in a vehicle, and their identities pr possible affiliation as well as their motive were not immediately known.
Meanwhile, the Iranian Embassy in Ankara said it had made the necessary arrangements with Turkish officials to ensure that the victims of the attack would receive the necessary care. The embassy also said that the Iranian consulate in the eastern Turkish city of Erzurum is investigating the incident.
- Eight hurt as Iranian bus attacked in Turkey - Nov 16, 2011
- Suspected car bomb kills 3 in Turkish capital - Sep 20, 2011
- Nine killed as mentally ill man hijacks Pune bus (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Iran asks Turkey, Qatar to help release pilgrims in Syria - Aug 05, 2012
- Turkish journalists released from Syria - May 13, 2012
- Mentally ill man hijacks Pune bus, kills 5 - Jan 25, 2012
- Turkish army holds drills on Syria border - Aug 02, 2012
- 29 Shia pilgrims killed in Pakistan - Sep 21, 2011
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Nine killed as mentally ill man hijacks Pune bus (Second lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Diplomat attack: Iran refutes Israel's charge - May 31, 2012
- Four dead in Colombia bus attack - Jun 21, 2012
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- Five die as gunmen attack Pakistani school bus - Sep 13, 2011
- Six students drown during stopover in southern Turkey - May 22, 2012
Tags: affiliation, ankara, bno, bus driver, eastern province, eastern turkey, erzurum, gunmen opened fire, iranian consulate, iranian embassy, local media, motive, nearby hospitals, nearby police station, necessary arrangements, necessary care, powerful earthquake, turkish city, turkish officials, unidentified gunmen