UN chief condemns Sudan’s continued bombings against S. Sudan

April 24th, 2012 - 7:36 pm ICT by BNO News  

BENTIU, SOUTH SUDAN (BNO NEWS) — United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday condemned the continued airstrikes on South Sudan by Sudanese warplanes. It came hours after Sudan bombed a market and an oil field, killing one.

The Rubkona market in the town of Bentiu in the newly-independent nation of South Sudan was bombed on early Monday morning at around 8:30 a.m. local time, officials said, allegedly by Sudanese warplanes. As a result, at least one person was killed while four others were injured.

Ban, speaking through his spokesman, condemned the attack and called on the Sudanese government to cease all hostilities immediately. “[Ban] reiterates that there can be no military solution to the disputes between Sudan and South Sudan,” the spokesman said. “He calls on (Sudan’s) President Bashir and (South Sudan’s) President Kiir to stop the slide towards further confrontation and urges both sides to return to dialogue as a matter of urgency.”

Also on Monday, Ban’s Special Representative and head of the peacekeeping operation known as the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), Hilde F. Johnson, urged that the “loss of civilian lives must stop.” Johnson also reminded both sides of their obligation to abide by international human rights and humanitarian law, taking all measures not to harm civilians and guarantee the safety of international aid organizations and UN personnel.

Last week, at least eight civilians were killed and nearly two dozen others were injured when Sudanese forces carried out airstrikes in Bentiu as well as the town of Mayom where an UNMISS logistics base is located. Sudanese forces also dropped eight bombs in Panakuac on early Tuesday morning.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World News |

Subscribe