UK pubs to remain open till 1am during Queen’s diamond jubilee celebrationsFebruary 28th, 2012 - 12:19 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Feb 27 (THAINDIAN NEWS) British officials say during the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations, pubs around the country will be allowed to run for two consecutive nights without the usual permit to do so.
Britain will mark the 60th anniversary of the ascension of Queen Elizabeth on the British throne. British officials say they arrived at the decision to leave pubs open overnight at the event this June after all the major stakeholders were consulted.
The officials say they consulted the security forces, members of the public and councils around the country to determine how best to handle the event.
The chief executive of British Beer and Pub Association Brigid Simmonds told reporters that, “Pubs bring people together in a unique way on these great national occasions, so extra hours will help keeps pubs at the centre of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations, just as they were for the Royal Wedding last year.”
The move has however been criticized by health campaigners who argue that it will encourage binge drinking. The British Liver Trust criticized the government for the action saying the move will send out the wrong signal to the public.
They say the move may erroneously mean alcohol is the best way to celebrate.
- London pubs to stay open late for royal wedding - Jan 12, 2011
- Barlow's Diamond Jubilee hangover - Sep 10, 2012
- Brook plans tea party to celebrate diamond jubilee - Jun 04, 2012
- Prince Charles' tribute to his 'mama' on her diamond jubilee celebrations - Jun 01, 2012
- Prince Charles' humour fantastic: Barlow - Jun 04, 2012
- Cobra beer to add froth at British queen's diamond jubilee event - Apr 18, 2012
- Prince Charles now favoured as next king of England - Jun 11, 2012
- Abu Dhabi crown prince attends Elizabeth's diamond jubilee - May 19, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth takes style tips from Kate - Mar 14, 2012
- Gilani calls off visit for Queen's diamond jubilee - Jun 02, 2012
- Cobra creates Queen's portrait using just beer and spices - May 29, 2012
- Britain's Prince Andrew to visit Kohima May 1 - Apr 25, 2012
- Britons bought more beer at shops than pubs - Jan 25, 2011
- Golden girl in Paralympic pool - Sep 05, 2012
- Brangelina likely to attend street party - May 31, 2012
Tags: 60th anniversary, ascension, binge, brigid, british beer, british liver trust, british officials, chief executive, consecutive nights, diamond jubilee, health campaigners, jubilee celebrations, liver, london feb, queen elizabeth, royal wedding, security forces, simmonds, stakeholders, uk pubs