UFO causes mountain fire in AustraliaJune 20th, 2009 - 12:42 am ICT by John Le Fevre
Australian authorities are unable to explain what caused a fire on a remote mountain range in central Queensland.
Authorities were alerted a to a bright flash striking the mountain at around 6.30am local time and mounted an air and ground search thinking a light aircraft may have crashed.
The Australian Search and Rescue Authority said it did not receive any mayday or distress calls from aircraft, though the crew from a search and rescue helicopter did find a fire on the mountain, but no signs of wreckage.
“There is a fire up there but it could have been caused by a space junk or meteor strike, or even a lightning strike,” a spokesman for the AGL Action Rescue Helicopter said.
A resident of Dalby, about 350km southwest of Takilberan Creek, said she saw an explosion of white-yellow light streak across the sky about 6am.
“It was brighter and larger and too low in the sky to be a falling star,” Jo Kemlo said.
“It was just a flash, it was kind of like a comet tail, but just for a few seconds.
Police from Gin Gin, northwest of Takilberan Creek are currently conducting a ground search of the thickly forested area but are yet to locate the cause of the bright light or fire.
Space authorities said it was not uncommon for natural material to hit the earth, with about 100 tons of material entering the earth’s atmosphere every day.
A UFO Research Queensland spokeswoman said they had received no reports about the incident.
- 'UFO' hits Queensland Mountain - Jun 19, 2009
- Death toll rises to 15 in Australia flooding - Jan 14, 2011
- Missing MiG-29 pilot dead - Nov 07, 2011
- Nine killed, over 60 missing in Australian floods (Lead) - Jan 11, 2011
- Six feared dead after small plane crashes into the Arizona mountains - Nov 24, 2011
- Floods, transport chaos hits Sydney - Mar 08, 2012
- Indian Army, IAF rescue 420 tourists in Ladakh (Lead) - Aug 09, 2010
- At least 2 dead in Australia's latest flash floods - Jan 10, 2011
- Pawan Hans to deploy two new choppers for Arunachal Pradesh - Apr 29, 2011
- 'UFO' spotted over southeast Queensland at dawn - Jun 05, 2010
- British chopper crashes at sea - May 10, 2012
- Two dead in China helicopter crash - Aug 18, 2011
- 'A burning plane, a thunderous sound' - all hell broke loose - May 26, 2011
- Russian plane carrying 44 people goes missing near Jakarta - May 09, 2012
- Helicopter crashes in eastern Romania, killing 5 Ukrainians - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: australian authorities, australian search and rescue, bright flash, central queensland, comet tail, distress calls, fire on the mountain, fire space, forested area, gin gin, ground search, light streak, lightning strike, meteor strike, mountain fire, natural material, rescue helicopter, space authorities, space junk, ufo research