Two U.S. Marines rescued after fighter jet crashes off San Diego, CAAugust 11th, 2011 - 9:13 pm ICT by BNO News
SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) — Two U.S. Marines were rescued safely after their fighter jet crashed off Mexico’s Pacific coast on Wednesday night, officials said.
The two marines, who are based in Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego, California, crashed their F/A-18 Hornet fighter jet on Wednesday night at around 10:15 p.m. local time and were reported missing. The fighter jet crashed into the Pacific Ocean approximately 85 miles southwest of San Diego.
The U.S. Coast Guard said its 13th “Island” Class Patrol Boat Cutter Edisto heard the Marines and deployed the Coast Guard MH-60 Jahawk helicopter to the survivors’ location. In addition, another patrol boat, Cutter Morgenthau, and a C-130 Hercules aircraft from Air Station Sacramento, which had already been deployed to the scene, were sent out as well.
Around four hours after the crash, the Marines were successfully rescued and airlifted to a local hospital. Both Marines, a pilot and weapons systems officer, were reported in stable condition, but investigations into the incident are ongoing, as the reason of the incident remains uncertain.
- 10 hurt as US Navy jet explodes - Apr 01, 2011
- Military Plane and Helicopter collide - Oct 31, 2009
- US forces rescue six more Iranian sailors - Jan 11, 2012
- Six missing after going on fishing trip off New Jersey - Oct 11, 2010
- GRSE launches two patrol vessels for Coast Guard - Aug 06, 2012
- Marine Plane And Coast Guard Helicopter Collide Near San Clamente Island - Oct 30, 2009
- Indian cargo ship APJ Suryavir back on course after repairs (Lead) - Dec 22, 2009
- Fukushima-contaminated tuna caught off San Diego coast - May 29, 2012
- US 'drunk driver' swims off to escape arrest - Jan 11, 2012
- India signs Rs.300-cr deal for interceptor boats - Oct 17, 2011
- Coast Guard rescues two from burning motor yacht off Los Angeles - May 22, 2010
- Japan tsunami waves crush boats on US coast - Mar 12, 2011
- 80 interceptor boats for Indian Navy - Jun 30, 2011
- India-Japan coast guards' deep sea mock drill ends - Jan 30, 2012
- US F-16 fighter crashes off Japan - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: bno, c 130 hercules, edisto, fighter jet, hercules aircraft, hornet, hornet fighter, jet crashes, local hospital, marines, miramar, morgenthau, pacific coast, patrol boat, s pacific, san diego ca, san diego california, stable condition, u s coast guard, weapons systems