Two top al-Qaida in Iraq leaders killed by Iraqi commandosApril 19th, 2010 - 9:40 pm ICT by BNO News
BAGHDAD (BNO NEWS) - Iraqi commandos, supported by U.S. Forces, killed the two most senior leaders of al-Qaida in Iraq early Sunday morning, the U.S. Military said on Monday.
The U.S. Military confirmed the killing of Abu Hamzah al-Muhajir, also known as Abu Ayyub al Masri, the military leader of Al-Qaeda in Iraq.
Also killed during the engagement was Hamid Dawud Muhammad Khalil al Zawi, otherwise known as Abu Umar al-Baghdadi who served Al-Qaeda in Iraq as the leader of the proclaimed Islamic State of Iraq.
“The death of these terrorists is potentially the most significant blow to al-Qaida in Iraq since the beginning of the insurgency,” said the United States Forces-Iraq Commander, General Raymond T. Odierno.
“The Government of Iraq intelligence services and security forces supported by U.S. intelligence and special operations forces have over the last several months continued to degrade al-Qaida in Iraq.”
During the operation, a U.S. Forces-Iraq Soldier was killed when a U.S. helicopter crashed.
- Two Al Qaeda leaders killed in Iraqi-US operation - Apr 20, 2010
- Al-Qaeda's second-in-command praises militant leaders killed in Iraq - May 25, 2010
- Al Qaeda in Iraq confirms deaths of its leaders - Apr 25, 2010
- Al Qaeda relations chief arrested in Iraq - Apr 22, 2010
- Iraqi troops launch major offensive against Al Qaeda - Apr 26, 2010
- Bin Laden's deputy lauds slain Al Qaeda leaders - May 21, 2010
- Iraq launches new offensive against Al Qaeda - Apr 26, 2010
- Statement by former U.S. President Clinton on Bin Laden's death - May 02, 2011
- Al Qaeda names new leader in Iraq - May 16, 2010
- Zawahiri praises Al Qaeda leaders killed in Iraq - May 25, 2010
- Zawahiri praises Al Qaeda leaders killed in Iraq (Lead) - May 25, 2010
- NATO airstrike in northeast Afghanistan kills major al-Qaeda figure - Apr 26, 2011
- Iraqi government wrongly confirms the apprehension of Al-Baghdadi - again - Apr 24, 2009
- British let al-Qaida kingpin Zarqawi go free, say Iraq war logs - Oct 24, 2010
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Lead) - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: abu hamzah, al baghdadi, al qaeda in iraq, al qaida, al qaida in iraq, ayyub, bno, commander general, dawud, government of iraq, hamid, insurgency, intelligence services, iraqi commandos, islamic state of iraq, military leader, muhammad khalil, security forces, special operations forces, umar