Two Scrabble fanatics celebrate a million points between themJuly 17th, 2012 - 6:17 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Surrey, July 17 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Two Scrabble fanatics are celebrating the fact that they have a million points between them over more than 40 years of play.
75 years old ladies – Celia Simms and Joan Dungay have managed to notch up an impressive total of 1,233,592 in the game which they have been playing over the last 47 years together. They sometimes play it together and sometimes they play on their own, but they diligently keep a record of the scores.
Joan and Celia have been best friends since they were teenagers and Celia learned the game when she was living in South Africa. Since she used to be a reporter herself, so naturally she is fascinated by the English language and hence her interest in the game is so extraordinary.
Celia said that, “We started playing Scrabble together in 1965. I moved from Surrey to Suffolk and we decided we would each keep a record of our scores until we reached a million points between us. Whenever we play - either on our own or together - we put the scores in a book. Then we decided it was time to have a quick count up. And when we added it all together we were surprised to find that we had surpassed the million mark by quite some way.”
- Mikki Nicholson spells success in UK Scrabble championship - Nov 01, 2010
- 'Colourful' transsexual wins UK Scrabble championship - Nov 01, 2010
- Scrabble rules set to change - Apr 06, 2010
- Hendricks borrows clothes from show - Mar 11, 2012
- Katie Holmes cheers to 'great' marriage - Sep 04, 2011
- Vindu, Sonakshi fight it out on scrabble (With images) (Movie Snippets) - Apr 17, 2011
- Man collapses attempting Scrabble world record - Apr 16, 2012
- TomKat love playing Scrabble together - Sep 10, 2010
- Meet 'champion Scrabble player' Kylie Minogue - Jul 12, 2009
- Scrabble cheat kicked out of tournament - Aug 20, 2012
- Super Kings ready for Mumbai Indians challenge - Sep 23, 2011
- Obama spending rain-hit holiday playing Scrabble - Aug 25, 2010
- John Simm to star as Hamlet - Dec 12, 2009
- Scrabble bosses slammed over use of abusive words - Aug 29, 2010
- Scrabble boosts children's language, speech skills - Apr 02, 2011