Two Reuters journalists missing in SyriaMarch 28th, 2011 - 4:24 am ICT by BNO News
DAMASCUS, SYRIA (BNO NEWS) — Two Reuters television journalists have been missing in Syria since Saturday night, the British news agency reported Sunday.
Beirut-based producer Ayat Basma and cameraman Ezzat Baltaji, both Lebanese nationals, were expected to cross into Lebanon by road on Saturday afternoon. The last known contact was when Baltaji sent a phone message to a colleague in Beirut, saying they were leaving.
“Reuters is deeply concerned about our two Reuters television colleagues who went missing in Syria on Saturday. We have reached out to the relevant authorities in Syria and have asked for their help in securing our colleagues’ safe return home,” Reuters Editor-in-Chief Stephen Adler said.
A Syrian official told Reuters on Sunday that authorities were working on resolving the issue.
On Friday, Syrian authorities expelled Reuters text correspondent Khaled Yacoub Oweis, saying he had filed “unprofessional and false” coverage of the country’s events. The news agency stood by its coverage from Syria.
Syrian security forces have reportedly killed at least 44 people during the past week’s unrest, although some reports say as many as 100 have been killed.
Protesters are demanding the ouster of President Bashar al-Assad, who took over the post from his father Hafez al-Assad in 2000, and greater freedoms. The country has been ruled by the Baath Party since 1963.
- Syrian security forces open fire on mourners - Apr 23, 2011
- US imposes sanctions on Syrian president - May 19, 2011
- U.S. condemns Syria's violent crackdown on protesters - Apr 13, 2011
- Syrian president orders for new constitution - Oct 16, 2011
- Terrorist infiltration attempt foiled in Syria - Apr 28, 2012
- Lebanon halts ship carrying arms for Syria rebels - Apr 29, 2012
- Syrian rebels set free one of 11 Lebanese pilgrims - Aug 26, 2012
- Syrian minister joins opposition - Mar 09, 2012
- Assad offers Eid prayers - Aug 19, 2012
- EU to introduce new sanctions on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- At least 55 killed in Syria pro-democracy violence - Mar 26, 2011
- Syria on brink of foreign instigated war: Assad - Jun 03, 2012
- Russia, China kill India-backed resolution on Syria (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Syrian vice president defects: Rebels - Aug 18, 2012
- France urges new Syria sanctions - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: baath party, bashar al assad, basma, bno, british news, damascus syria, ezzat, hafez al assad, lebanese nationals, ouster, phone message, president bashar, relevant authorities, reuters journalists, reuters television, safe return, stephen adler, syrian authorities, syrian official, television journalists