Two Miami police officers killed while serving warrantJanuary 21st, 2011 - 3:14 am ICT by BNO News
MIAMI, FLORIDA (BNO NEWS) — Two Miami police officers on Thursday were killed as they attempted to serve an arrest warrant, the Miami Herald reported.
A male and female cop attempted to serve a warrant to a violent fugitive in a home in Northwest Seventh Avenue and 69th Street. However, the suspect was with other individuals and shot the officers.
Roger Castillo was killed at the spot and the female officer was transported to the Jackson Memorial Hospital where she underwent surgery but did not survive. Her name was not disclosed.
Authorities are investigating the incident as there are not many details on how the shooting began. One suspect was also killed in the fire exchange and another was taken into custody.
It was the first time in decades two law enforcement officers were killed in the line of duty. The shooting took place on Thursday morning. Several other suspects reportedly fled the scene.
Authorities shut down traffic on Interstate-95. In addition, nearby schools were put in lock down including Thena Crowder Elementary School and Little River Elementary School.
- Jeff Lacy's Brother Found Dead In Florida Shooting Incident - Jan 25, 2011
- French fugitive couple shot dead in southwest South Africa - Jan 21, 2011
- Two Florida officers shot and killed after traffic stop, suspect still missing - Jun 30, 2010
- Former fugitives sentenced in Florida for fake credit card manufacturing - Mar 04, 2010
- US indicts two for trafficking jaguar pelts - Aug 31, 2011
- Man held over attempt to kill Spanish king - Jul 07, 2011
- Principal & Assistant Principal shot in the Inskip Elementary School shooting - Feb 11, 2010
- Florida police: Suspect shot dead in Lakeland - Mar 31, 2010
- Indian Canadian wanted in 1999 slaying arrested in US - Aug 24, 2011
- Two wanted terrorists held in Indonesia - Jul 13, 2012
- Investigation underway after bullet hits White House window - Nov 16, 2011
- U.S. Marshals arrest former Florida deputy who killed a deputy in 1986 - Apr 21, 2010
- Chinese serial killer shot dead - Aug 14, 2012
- 17 held in Mexico summer camp attack - Jul 20, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting gunman identified as ex-soldier (Fourth Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: 69th street, arrest warrant, authorities, bno, crowder elementary school, decades, female cop, fugitive, interstate 95, jackson memorial hospital, law enforcement officers, line of duty, miami florida, miami herald, miami police, nearby schools, police officers, seventh avenue, thena, thursday morning