Two killed when small plane crashes in northern ArkansasSeptember 8th, 2010 - 3:23 am ICT by BNO News
BUFFALO CITY, ARKANSAS (BNO NEWS) — Two people were killed on early Tuesday afternoon when a small plane registered to a company out of California crashed in northern Arkansas, local and federal officials said.
Baxter County Sheriff John Montgomery said the Sheriff’s office received a 911 call from a citizen at approximately 12.26 p.m. CDT, stating that he had heard and seen a plane crash in the woods near the Buffalo City area.
Baxter County Sheriff’s Lieutenant Rick Lucy was the first person to arrive on scene at approximately 12:33 p.m. CDT, confirming that a plane had gone down in a remote wooded area off Inwood Lane.
“The remains of the plane were on fire, and the Buford Volunteer Fire Department was already enroute, as was an ambulance from Baxter Regional Medical Center,” said Montgomery. “Two persons are confirmed dead [..] Their bodies are being removed by the Baxter County Coroner’s Office. Their identity has not been established.”
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said the plane involved was a Cessna 210, which is capable of carrying one pilot and five passengers. She said the aircraft departed Vermilion Regional Airport in Danville, Indiana several hours earlier and was due to fly to Georgetown Muni Airport in Georgetown, Texas.
Federal records showed the 1982-build aircraft was registered to Monterey Bay Aviation, Inc. in Watsonville, California.
The cause of the accident was not immediately known.
- Three killed in California crash (Lead) - Mar 21, 2011
- Four die in West Fork, Arkansas small plane crash - Feb 07, 2010
- Plane crash in Grand Canyon leaves 2 dead - Aug 01, 2011
- Small plane carrying two crashes in the Atlantic Ocean off Florida - May 16, 2010
- Small plane crashes after take-off in South Dakota, killing 4 - Dec 10, 2011
- Six hurt after small plane crashes in western New York - Aug 02, 2010
- Six feared dead after small plane crashes into the Arizona mountains - Nov 24, 2011
- Five die in Los Angeles-area plane crash - Mar 17, 2011
- One dead in CHP plane crash near San Diego County-Imperial County border, CA - May 08, 2010
- Small plane crashes in the Atlantic Ocean off Florida - May 16, 2010
- NASCAR owner Rick Hendrick survives a plane crash - Nov 01, 2011
- Three killed in US plane crash - Jul 25, 2011
- FAA: Small plane crashes New Jersey airport, at least two dead (Update) - Feb 16, 2010
- Small plane crashes at Long Beach Airport in California - Mar 17, 2011
- Okla. State University women's basketball coach killed in Ark. plane crash - Nov 18, 2011
Tags: aviation inc, baxter county, baxter regional medical center, bno, buffalo city arkansas, cessna 210, county coroner, danville indiana, early tuesday, federal aviation administration, georgetown texas, kathleen bergen, monterey bay, northern arkansas, plane crash, regional medical center, sheriff john, small plane crashes, volunteer fire department, watsonville california