Two killed in bomb blast in northern NigeriaMay 15th, 2011 - 2:50 am ICT by BNO News
MAIDUGURI, NIGERIA (BNO NEWS) — Two people were killed on Friday night in a bomb blast in Nigeria’s northeast Borno State, Xinhua news agency reported.
State police spokesperson Lawal Abdullahi told reporters that the bomb was planted on the roadside in the state capital, Maiduguri. He added that the bomb was believed to have been planted by suspected members of the sect group Boko Haram near a police checkpoint.
Police have started an investigation into the issue and appealed for calm.
More than 50 other people, mostly security personnel, have been killed by suspected Boko Haram militants since July 2009, when they launched a series of attacks in the state. Many people were killed and wounded, while properties were destroyed.
The sect’s leader Mohammed Yusuf and his alleged financier Buji Foi were killed in a counter attack by the security operative.
The militants staged an uprising in Maiduguri in 2009 and attacked government institutions, which led to clashes with security forces in which an estimated hundreds of people were killed.
Maiduguri is the capital and largest city of Borno State in northeastern Nigeria. It sits along the seasonal Ngadda River and has a population of more than 1 million.
- Two Boko Haram commanders killed in Nigeria - Sep 21, 2012
- 20 Boko Haram militants killed in Nigeria - Aug 13, 2012
- Two killed, 26 Boko Haram members held in Nigeria - Jul 28, 2012
- Radical Islamist sect claims responsibility for Nigeria church attacks - Dec 29, 2010
- Two killed in Nigeria bank attack - Aug 26, 2012
- Politician shot dead in Nigeria - May 26, 2012
- Over 100 killed in northern Nigeria bomb attacks - Nov 05, 2011
- Over 100 killed in Nigerian church attacks : UN - Jun 23, 2012
- 25 killed in Nigeria bomb blasts - Jun 27, 2011
- U.S. warns of terrorist attacks in Nigerian capital - Nov 07, 2011
- 721 inmates escape in Nigeria - Sep 08, 2010
- 'Boko Haram' attacks leave more than 80 people killed in northern Nigeria - Nov 07, 2011
- 11 killed in Nigeria church blasts during Christmas prayers (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- Indian among 160 killed in Nigeria terror attack (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Thousands flee after clashes between Nigerian security forces and militants - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: bno, bomb blast, borno state, clashes, financier, government institutions, haram, maiduguri nigeria, militants, mohammed yusuf, northeastern nigeria, northern nigeria, police checkpoint, police spokesperson, sect, security forces, security personnel, state police, uprising, xinhua news agency