Algeria earthquake: Two dead, dozens injuredMay 15th, 2010 - 3:35 am ICT by BNO News
ALGIERS (BNO NEWS) — A moderate earthquake shook northern Algeria on Friday afternoon, seismologists said, killing at least two people and injuring dozens more.
The 5.2-magnitude earthquake at 1.29 p.m. local time (12.29 GMT) was centered about 7 kilometers *4.3 miles) north of Melouza, or 70 kilometers (45 miles) west-southwest of Bordj Bou Arreridj, the capital city of Bordj Bou Arréridj Province. It struck about 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the country’s seismological agency.
State media reported that at least two people had been killed as a result of the tremor, including an elderly man. The elderly man was killed during panic that was caused by the collapse of a wall at a mosque.
At least 43 others were hospitalized, but half of them had left the hospital several hours after the earthquake.
- Moderate earthquake rattles northern Algeria, days after similar quake kills two - May 16, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits deep underneath northern Argentina - May 29, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- Moderate earthquake rocks Spain, at least 7 dead - May 12, 2011
- Two strong earthquakes shake Mexican desert in Baja California - Apr 12, 2012
- Strong earthquakes strike off northeastern New Zealand - Nov 18, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off Indonesia's Sumatra - May 06, 2010
- Moderate 5.5-magnitude earthquake shakes Christchurch - Oct 10, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no casualties - Apr 12, 2012
- Moderate earthquake rattles southwest Pakistan, destroys homes - Aug 10, 2011
- Powerful earthquake rocks Myanmar, deaths reported - Mar 25, 2011
- Moderate earthquake rattles western Germany - Feb 14, 2011
Tags: algiers, bno, bou, collapse, dead dozens, earthquake rocks, elderly man, friday afternoon, gmt, kilometers, local time, magnitude earthquake, moderate earthquake, mosque, northern algeria, seismologists, shallow earthquake, tremor, west southwest