Two Dead, As Many as 50 Injured in Missouri School Bus AccidentAugust 6th, 2010 - 12:48 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Aug 5 (THAINDIAN NEWS) So far two people have been confirmed dead, and as many as fifty have been injured when two school buses loaded with 50 kids crashed into the back of a tractor trailer today (Thursday) about 40 miles outside of St. Louis, Missouri, with an SUV lying mangled underneath the wreckage at this time, according to authorities.
A spokesperson for the Missouri Department of transportation, Jorma Duran, stated that the accident occurred sometimes between 10:15 and 10:30 am on I 44 at mile marker 250.
Reports in from ‘CNN’ affiliate ‘KMOV’ say that the school buses were loaded with eighth grade band student from the St James School in Missouri who were on their way to a Six Flags field trip located just 10 miles form the scene.
Thirty six of the 50 student were taken to the SMM Cardinal Glennon Children’s Medical Center which is located in St Louis. Four more of those students were transported to St John’s Mercy Medical Hospital, which is in Washington, Missouri. Still five other children were taken to the St John’s Mercy Medical Center, in St Louis, and two people are being taken to St. Clair Hospital in Fenton,spokespersons from all of these hospitals confirmed.
About four miles of the eastbound lane were closed due to the accident. The video of the crash scene shows a bus resting on top of a tractor trailer, another school bus right behind it, and an SUV, which is barely visible, mangled beneath the wreckage. It is yet unclear whether the two confirmed dead were in the SUV, the buses, or the tractor trailer. Metal ladders were seen leaning against the school buses to help get the children out of the windows.
The Missouri State Highway Patrol, and the Franklin County Sherriff’s Office are helping to respond to the wreck, which happened in Grey Summit.
- Two People Killed, Dozens Injured In Missouri School Bus Crash - Aug 06, 2010
- Paul Sterling Smith: Person Of Interest in Kidnapping Of Alisa Maier Kills Self As Police Enter Home - Jul 08, 2010
- 25 killed as tornadoes hit US - May 23, 2011
- Mumbai woman killed in US bus accudent - Aug 04, 2012
- US car crash claims 5 Andhra techies, families in gloom - Aug 11, 2012
- One dead, over 100 injured in US tent collapse - Apr 29, 2012
- Ban cell phone use while driving: US safety panel - Dec 14, 2011
- Four Andhra students killed in US road accident - May 09, 2011
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan, no survivors (Night Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Off duty woman cop crashes, killing 4 Indian students in US - Mar 23, 2009
- Indian-American linguist wins US academic award - Apr 06, 2012
- 29 people still unaccounted in Joplin tornado - May 31, 2011
- Elton John regrets selling collection - Feb 04, 2011
- 232 listed as missing after US tornado - May 27, 2011
- Three killed in Haryana school bus accident - Feb 22, 2011
Tags: cardinal glennon, cnn, cnn affiliate, crash scene, eastbound lane, franklin county sherriff, mangles, medical hospital, mercy medical center, metal ladders, missouri department of transportation, missouri school bus accident, missouri state highway patrol, school bus accident, school buses, six flags, st clair hospital, st louis missouri, state highway patrol, washington missouri