Two dead after clashes between soldiers and gunmen in central MexicoFebruary 25th, 2011 - 10:51 pm ICT by BNO News
MICHOACAN, MEXICO (BNO NEWS) — Two people on Thursday were killed during clashes between the Mexican Army and gunmen in central Mexico, the state-run Notimex news agency reported on Friday.
The confrontation took place in the Jacona municipality in Michoacan State. Preliminary reports indicate that soldiers and suspected drug cartel members got into a gunfight but it is not clear what initiated the fight.
Two suspected gunmen were killed along the Jacona-Jiquilpan highway but it was not disclosed to which drug cartel they belonged. The clashes occurred near the Puerto de Lucas village.
After the gunfight, soldiers seized a vehicle, high-caliber weapons, a grenade and many clips of ammunition. This was the second armed confrontation in the area in the last two weeks.
On February 16, soldiers clashed with suspected gunmen in the Zitacuaro municipality. One suspected criminal was killed and several others were detained. Michoacan state is plagued by drug-related violence as La Famila drug-cartel operates there.
- Report: 71 inmates escape in mass jail break in Mexico's drug-plagued north - Sep 11, 2010
- Gunmen storm rehab center, kill 13 in Mexico border city - Oct 25, 2010
- Zetas leader shot down in northern Mexico - Jan 25, 2011
- 23 police officers arrested over alleged ties with drug cartel in central Mexico - May 03, 2011
- 23 bodies dumped in Mexican state - Jun 21, 2011
- Gunmen free 23 inmates at Mexican detention centre - Dec 06, 2009
- Military chopper crashes in Mexico - May 30, 2011
- Mexican drug lord Nazario "El Chayo" Moreno Gonzalez reportedly killed by troops - Dec 10, 2010
- 20 dead in Mexico bar attack - Jul 09, 2011
- US agent accused of buying guns for Mexican cartels - Apr 13, 2012
- Police chief, 2 bodyguards killed in Mexico - Apr 17, 2011
- At least 5 dead after drug-related clashes in northern Mexico - Oct 15, 2010
- Mexican army kills eight in shootout - Feb 19, 2011
- Mexico's Army seizes huge drug-cartel weapons cache - May 12, 2010
- Drug gang gunfight leaves 10 dead, 18 injured in central-western Mexico - Dec 12, 2010