Two Berlin International airports on stikeFebruary 24th, 2009 - 1:49 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Two of Berlin’s international airports are expected to be hit by strikes lasting 3-1/2 hours on Tuesday morning as workers press demanded for an eight percent pay rise, a union said.
After a two-hour strike which was on February 12 had limited impact, public service sector union Verdi said walkouts at Tegel, Berlin’s main international airport, and Schoenefeld would be staged from 6am to 9.30am.
Verdi said 250 workers took part in the previous strikes at the two airports, which have a work force of 1,500. Berlin, with 21 million passengers transported per year, has Germany’s third largest air traffic volume after Frankfurt and Munich.
Verdi is demanding an 8 per cent raise. It says Berlin airports have offered a 1.3 per cent pay rise for 2009.
The airport said it had made a 2.6-percent wage increase offer combined with a 1,250-euro, one-off payment that would give an overall wage increase of 4.2 per cent.
- Lufthansa strike cancels 300 flights - Sep 05, 2012
- Workers rally in South Africa, government offers talk - Aug 26, 2010
- Coal India terms workers' strike for bonus illegal - Sep 24, 2011
- Workers strike halts construction of greenfield airport in Sikkim - Oct 21, 2010
- Durga idol makers battle cost, labour shortage - Sep 13, 2011
- CEOs 'compensated 100 times more than average workers' - Nov 17, 2010
- Public non-life insurers' employees to strike - Mar 25, 2010
- Neyveli workers' unions seek wage revision, threaten strike - May 31, 2010
- Striking Comstar Automotive workers plan fast - Aug 19, 2011
- Hyundai workers want union recognition decided on ballot - May 16, 2011
- Strike at 2010 World Cup projects enters sixth day - Jul 13, 2009
- Neyveli Lignite workers call off strike after wage accord - Jul 06, 2010
- Mass strikes hit Greece as bailout talks reach climax - May 01, 2010
- RTI query exposes urea shortage in Bihar - Jan 04, 2012
- Strike not to affect power generation at Neyveli Lignite - Sep 22, 2010
Tags: 6am, air traffic, berlin airports, berlin international, february 12, frankfurt, germany, impact public, international airports, munich, public service sector, schoenefeld, strikes, tegel berlin, traffic volume, tuesday morning, walkouts