Twitter fuels Fidel Castro death rumorJanuary 5th, 2012 - 7:26 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Havana, Jan 5 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Cuban leaders do not find Fidel Castro’s death rumor on Twitter funny. The country’s administration has spoken against the rumor which spread over the miniblog this week.
Twitter is accused of helping spread the rumor. State news media says the organization allowed the rumor to be started on Monday by a user with the name “Naroh.” The country is also blaming Cuban expatriates of helping fuel the rumor.
When reporters contacted the account owner of “Naroh,” he denied starting the rumor although he admitted that he joked with the news when he became aware of it on Twitter.
Castro is regarded as the most powerful man in Cuba despite the fact that he has handed power of running the country over to his younger brother Raul. The 89-year-old is officially retired after struggling with ill-health. He is currently kept under care and regularly writes in national newspapers.
When reporters enquired about the health of Castro in the wake of the rumors, the administration declined to provide any details.
Nonetheless, state-run website Cubadebate announced on Wednesday that the rumor is the imagination of “people inventing things in the virtual world that even the CIA could not accomplish in real life.”
- Maradona expresses admiration of Castro - Jul 25, 2010
- Raul Castro hints at easing of Cuba's migration policy - Aug 02, 2011
- Castro meets experts to discuss threats to human species - Feb 12, 2012
- Fidel Castro turns 85 - Aug 14, 2011
- Castro to release first volume of memoirs in August - Jul 28, 2010
- Castro confirms he won't be in top Cuban leadership - Apr 19, 2011
- Cuba raps Facebook, YouTube - Jan 16, 2011
- Cuban president embarks on China, Vietnam trip - Jul 03, 2012
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- WHO praises Cuba's health care system - Mar 28, 2012
- Fidel Castro: I was misinterpreted - Sep 12, 2010
- Castro's China visit to help speed up Cuban economy (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Cuba, US to resume friendly baseball games - Mar 21, 2012
- Fidel Castro makes rare public appearance - Jul 11, 2010
- Raul Castro secures cooperation commitments in China - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: brother raul, cia, cuba, cuban expatriates, fidel castro, fidel castro death, havana, ill health, imagination, inventing things, national newspapers, news media, powerful man, state news, twitter, virtual world