Tunisia issues international arrest warrant for ousted presidentJanuary 26th, 2011 - 10:33 pm ICT by BNO News
TUNIS, TUNISIA (BNO NEWS) — An international warrant for the arrest of Tunisia’s ousted President Zine el Abidine Ben Ali was issued on Wednesday, the Justice Minister said, according to the official TAP news agency.
The move came as Tunisians await the announcement of a new government later on Wednesday. Government spokesman Taieb Baccouche said Tuesday that consultations continued to fill in the vacancies within the interim government and to bring the necessary changes.
The reshuffle of the cabinet follows ongoing protests against the reappointment of several ministers who had served under Ben Ali.
Baccouche added that one of the first decisions taken in the first cabinet meeting was to deliver on Wednesday a direct advance to the families of those killed in the unrest and to the injured .
On Monday, France opened an investigation over Ben Ali’s assets after three activist groups filed a civil lawsuit against him. The fortune of the former president is estimated at around 3.6 billion Euros ($4.91 billion).
The suit accuses the ex-Tunisian leader of plundering the African country’s resources during the 23 years he was at the helm.
Ben Ali fled to Saudi Arabia on January 14 after citizens organized a series of demonstrations against economic issues which resulted in violent riots.
- France opens investigation on ousted Tunisian President Ben Ali's assets - Jan 25, 2011
- Tunisia may opt for government reshuffle - Jan 27, 2011
- Tunisian ousted President Ben Ali accused of plotting against national security - May 05, 2011
- Switzerland to help Tunisia recover Ben Ali's assets - Apr 19, 2011
- Tunisia ready to grant asylum to Syrian president - Feb 29, 2012
- Tunisian minister quits - Mar 01, 2011
- Ben Ali's former advisor held in Tunis - Sep 04, 2012
- Tunisian PM's website hacked - Apr 09, 2012
- EU to give $348 mn in aid to Tunisia - Feb 15, 2011
- Tunisia's Ben Ali sentenced to 20 more years in jail - Jun 14, 2012
- Tunisian ex-president's trial postponed - Jul 22, 2011
- Tunisia's interim government reshuffled - Jan 28, 2011
- Interpol issues global alert for Ben Ali - Jan 27, 2011
- Ex-Tunisian president's wife's greed drove nation to revolution - Jan 17, 2011
- Death toll rises as Tunisian president promises change - Jan 14, 2011
Tags: 23 years, activist groups, bno, cabinet meeting, civil lawsuit, economic issues, former president, government spokesman, interim government, international arrest warrant, international warrant, justice minister, reshuffle, saudi arabia, taieb, tunis tunisia, tunisian, violent riots, zine el abidine, zine el abidine ben ali