Tsunami warnings issued following powerful quake near VanuatuDecember 25th, 2010 - 8:36 pm ICT by BNO News
VANUATU ISLANDS (BNO NEWS) — Tsunami warnings were issued for several countries on early Sunday morning after a powerful earthquake struck near the Vanuatu Islands, seismologists and tsunami experts said.
The 7.6-magnitude earthquake at 12.16 a.m. local time (1316 GMT Sunday) was centered approximately 138 kilometers (86 miles) west of Isangel on Vanuatu. It struck about 24.4 kilometers (15.2 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center immediately issued a tsunami warning for Vanuatu, New Caledonia, and Fiji, although it was not immediately known if a tsunami had been generated.
“It is not known that a tsunami was generated,” the agency said in its warning. “This warning is based only on the earthquake evaluation. An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines in the region near the epicenter within minutes to hours.”
- Powerful 7.6 quake near Vanuatu prompts tsunami warnings - Dec 25, 2010
- Tsunami waves observed after powerful Vanuatu quake, warnings canceled - Dec 25, 2010
- Strong 6.6-magnitude earthquake rocks Vanuatu - Dec 29, 2010
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Tsunami warnings issued after major earthquake off Vanuatu - May 28, 2010
- Powerful 7.1-magnitude quake strikes near Vanuatu - USGS - May 10, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off the Vanuatu Islands, no damage expected - Jan 09, 2011
- Tsunami waves observed after powerful Vanuatu quake - Dec 25, 2010
- Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes, casualties reported - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong quake hits deep underneath the South Pacific Ocean - Dec 28, 2010
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, southwest of Vanuatu - May 11, 2011
- Huge quake off Indonesia prompts tsunami warnings - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, east of Vanuatu - Jul 31, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: bno, early sunday morning, epicenter, kilometers, local time, magnitude earthquake, minutes to hours, new caledonia, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning center, powerful earthquake, powerful quake, seismologists, shallow earthquake, tsunami, tsunami warning center, tsunami warnings, united states geological, united states geological survey, vanuatu islands