Tsunami warnings issued after major earthquake off VanuatuMay 28th, 2010 - 12:46 am ICT by BNO News
NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) — A major earthquake struck off the Vanuatu Islands on early Friday, seismologists said, prompting tsunami warnings for nearby coasts.
The 7.4-magnitude earthquake at 4.14 a.m. local time (1714 UTC Thursday) was centered about 214 kilometers (133 miles) north-northwest of Santo, Vanuatu. It struck about 36.1 kilometers (22.4 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, which initially measured the strength of the earthquake at 7.6, immediately issued a tsunami warning for the Solomon Islands, the Vanuatu Islands, and New Caledonia.
“It is not known that a tsunami was generated,” the center said in its warning. “This warning is based only on the earthquake evaluation. An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines in the region near the epicenter within minutes to hours.”
- All tsunami warnings cancelled after major quake in south Pacific - May 28, 2010
- Tsunami warnings in effect after major earthquake hits the South Pacific - May 28, 2010
- Tsunami warnings issued following powerful quake near Vanuatu - Dec 25, 2010
- Powerful 7.6 quake near Vanuatu prompts tsunami warnings - Dec 25, 2010
- 7.4 Earthquake in Vanuata & MAJOR AFTERSHOCK:SP Tsunami Warnings Issued! - May 28, 2010
- Tsunami waves observed after powerful Vanuatu quake - Dec 25, 2010
- Massive earthquake rocks the Pacific Ocean - Oct 08, 2009
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Powerful 7.5-magnitude earthquake hits off Vanuatu Islands, Port-Vila struck by small tsunami - Aug 10, 2010
- 7.9-magnitude quake strikes Costa Rica, tsunami warnings issued - Sep 05, 2012
- Major Earthquake Punches South Pacific - May 28, 2010
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes the Solomon Islands, no tsunami alert - Apr 23, 2011
- Tsunami waves observed after powerful Vanuatu quake, warnings canceled - Dec 25, 2010
- Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes, casualties reported - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,