Truck crashes into passenger bus in southern Vietnam, killing 10November 7th, 2011 - 6:23 pm ICT by BNO News
HANOI (BNO NEWS) — At least ten people were killed on early Monday morning when a truck lost control and crashed into two passenger buses in southern Vietnam, police said. More than 20 others were seriously injured.
The accident happened at around 2 a.m. local time on the 1A highway in Binh Thuan province, which is located on the country’s South Central coast. Police said a truck was involved in a minor collision with a bus traveling in the opposite direction before losing control and crashing into a second bus.
There were no reports of casualties on the first bus, but the second bus burst into flames, killing eight people at the scene and two others while they were being rushed to a local hospital. Some of the victims, which included both the truck and the bus driver, were burnt beyond recognition.
In addition to the fatalities, officials said twenty-one people were seriously injured in the accident. Police believe the truck driver was speeding when the truck entered the wrong lane for unknown reasons, causing the accident.
Traffic accidents in Vietnam kill nearly 13,000 people a year and injure more than 10,000 others, according to police figures which show the casualty numbers have risen sharply since 2000. More than 30 percent of road traffic deaths in 2007 involved alcohol.
- Indonesia: 14 dead, 40 injured in West Java bus accident - Feb 11, 2012
- Bus collision in Java, Indonesia kills 9 - May 23, 2011
- Pakistan: Seven passengers die after bus driver falls asleep - Apr 12, 2012
- Nine killed in Uttar Pradesh road accident - Apr 19, 2011
- Afghanistan: At least 53 killed after bus crashes head-on with tanker in Ghazni - Sep 17, 2012
- Bus plunges into ravine in southwest China, killing 15 - Mar 13, 2012
- Nine killed in bus-truck collision in Assam - Jun 13, 2010
- Two students killed as truck rams into school bus - Jan 28, 2011
- Two killed, 21 hurt in China road accident - Dec 18, 2011
- 26 killed in Brazil Carnival road accident - Mar 06, 2011
- Bus accident kills 14, injures 45 in southwestern Uganda - Sep 19, 2012
- Three killed, four hurt in road accident - Aug 03, 2012
- 46 die in road accidents across 3 states (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- 27 killed in Maharashtra accident (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- 27 killed in Maharashtra accident (Third lead) - May 28, 2012
Tags: bno, bus driver, casualties, central coast, early monday morning, first bus, hanoi, local hospital, losing control, minor collision, one people, passenger bus, passenger buses, road traffic, s south, south central coast, southern vietnam, traffic accidents, traffic deaths, truck crashes