Tropical storm warnings extended as Frank moves parallel to Mexico coastAugust 23rd, 2010 - 11:06 pm ICT by BNO News
MIAMI (BNO NEWS) — A tropical storm warning was extended on Monday after Tropical Storm Frank continued to move parallel to the coast of southern Mexico, meteorologists said.
As of 8:00 a.m. PDT (1500 GMT), the center of the tropical storm was located about 330 kilometers (205 miles) south-southeast of the resort of Acapulco, in Guerrero state.
The U.S. National Hurricane Center said a tropical storm warning is in effect from Lagunas de Chacahua westward to Zihuatanejo, and a tropical storm watch is in effect from Lagunas de Chacahua westward to Zihuatanejo.
The Miami-based center said Tropical Storm Frank is moving toward the west-northwest at a speed of approximately 13 kilometers (8 miles) per hour. “This motion is expected to continue for the next couple of days. On the forecast track, Frank should move parallel to the coast of southern Mexico through Wednesday,” said forecaster Stewart.
Maximum sustained winds are currently near 95 kilometers (60 miles) per hour, with higher gusts. Some strengthening is forecast during the next 48 hours. “It is possible that Frank could reach hurricane strength by late Tuesday,” Stewart added.
Meanwhile, storm Eight-E - about 345 kilometers (215 miles) southwest of the southern tip of Baja California - on Sunday degenerated into a remnant low. It had been a tropical depression for several days, but never affected land.
- Tropical Storm Frank forms off Mexico's Pacific coast, warning issued - Aug 22, 2010
- Tropical storm Beatriz forms off the Pacific coast of Mexico; hurricane watch issued - Jun 20, 2011
- Frank strengthens into a hurricane as it moves away from Mexico - Aug 26, 2010
- Tropical Storm Aletta forms far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no threat - May 15, 2012
- Tropical Storm Eugene forms in the Pacific, no threat to land - Jul 31, 2011
- Tropical depression forms off southeast Mexican coast - Jun 16, 2010
- Earl becomes a category four hurricane; Fiona forms in Atlantic - Aug 31, 2010
- Hurricane Alex gathers strength off northeast Mexico's coast - Jul 01, 2010
- More than 800,000 without power as Hurricane Irene slams Puerto Rico - Aug 22, 2011
- Category four hurricane Hilary could threaten Baja California - Sep 24, 2011
- Tropical Storm Kenneth forms in the Eastern Pacific, expected to strengthen - Nov 21, 2011
- Tropical Storm Georgette forms off the coast of Baja California - Sep 21, 2010
- Hurricane warning issued for Bermuda as Igor nears - NHC - Sep 18, 2010
- Hurricane Darby becomes category three storm off Mexico's southern coast - Jun 25, 2010
- Hurricane warnings issued as Tropical Storm Paula forms in the northwestern Caribbean - Oct 12, 2010
Tags: baja california, bno, forecast track, guerrero state, gusts, hurricane strength, lagunas, maximum sustained winds, meteorologists, mexico coast, miles per hour, national hurricane center, south southeast, southern mexico, southern tip, storm warning, tropical depression, tropical storm warnings, tropical storm watch, west northwest