Trapped Chilean miners could be rescued by this weekendOctober 7th, 2010 - 8:21 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
There seems to be hope in sight for the families of the Chilean trapped miners. Chilean officials say the first miners could be freed as early as 10th October. It was initially thought that the miners might not be out until December.
The company that is using the heavy drilling machines to get the miners out. Geotec Boyles Brothers, however say that the deeper the drilling gets, the complicated it becomes. However the Vice President of the company, Eugenio Eguiguren says the work is progressing very well and he expects the miners to be out this Sunday or Monday.
The Mining Minister of Chile, Laurence Golborne is set to visit the site as the operation nears its completion.
One of the shafts that is involved in the drilling operation is merely at 100 meters from one of the underground chambers that the miners can access. There are three rescue shafts involved in the rescue operation.
The miners have been trapped under the collapsed 700,000-ton rubble since the mine collapsed on August 5 this year. The miners survived alone under the rubble after taking refuge in an underground bunker. They were found 17 days later after the mines collapsed.
- Trapped Chillean miners may be rescued by Saturday - Oct 08, 2010
- Chilean Miners Are Expected To Be Rescued This Weekend - Oct 07, 2010
- Rescue drill finally reaches the trapped Chilean miners - Oct 10, 2010
- Chilean miners could be rescued by 'end of October' - Oct 02, 2010
- Drillers may reach 33-trapped Chillean miners within hours - Oct 09, 2010
- Chillean miners likely to be evacuated on Wednesday, says Mining Minister - Oct 10, 2010
- Chile mine rescue enters final phase (Lead) - Oct 12, 2010
- Rescue of trapped Chilean miners to begin on Tuesday evening - Oct 12, 2010
- Countdown to Chilean miners' rescue begins - Oct 12, 2010
- Chile builds 'cells' to help trapped 33 miners cope - Oct 04, 2010
- Trapped Chile miners speak to family members for first time on telephone - Aug 31, 2010
- Drilling of rescue shaft begins at Chile mine - Aug 31, 2010
- Trapped Chilean miners celebrate bicentennial - Sep 19, 2010
- Trapped Chilean miners may be too fat to fit through escape hole by Xmas - Aug 26, 2010
- Drill mishap delays Chilean mine rescue - Sep 23, 2010